Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitroparaffin synthesis via industrial route
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 10:13
Nitroparaffin synthesis via industrial route

Nitroparaffins like nitromethane, nitroethane, and the two isomers of nitropropane are produced industrially by reacting HNO3 and propane at about 150 psi and 400 degrees C. Now, these two reagents are far more easily obtained than the ones usually referred to for lab-scale syntheses, the only problem seems to be the specialized equipment needed. Still, this temperature and pressure combination is by no means beyond the capability of a homemade device built from stainless steel tubing. Has anyone looked into building something that could do this? If not, I'm thinking I could give it a try in the near future.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 20-5-2010 at 07:08

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Nitroparaffins like nitromethane, nitroethane, and the two isomers of nitropropane are produced industrially by reacting HNO3 and propane at about 150 psi and 400 degrees C. Now, these two reagents are far more easily obtained than the ones usually referred to for lab-scale syntheses, the only problem seems to be the specialized equipment needed. Still, this temperature and pressure combination is by no means beyond the capability of a homemade device built from stainless steel tubing. Has anyone looked into building something that could do this? If not, I'm thinking I could give it a try in the near future.

It's actually easier than it seems! but it's pretty damn dangerous.
Remember the containers that propane comes in for camping or BBQ's? If you had an empty one and a one with propane, you could open the empty one via unscrewing the petcock and pulling all of the valve and dongle. The measure out your HNO3 and re-seal. Then the propane would be added by using two flow valves connected together and you would be able to mix your two materials in one tank. The hairy stuff comes when you need to get your heat to 400C and calculate the needed room for the reaction.....

Superficially, if you had access to a great many measurements & tables of rated strength / pressure, those tanks are VERY tough. It MAY not blow if the temp was measured evenly enough. But I sure would not want to be close by.....

[Edited on 20-5-2010 by quicksilver]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 12:15

Melgar, if the reaction permits it, go for much higher pressures, and somewhat lower temperatures.

Small inside-diameter stainless steel tubing, laughs at high pressures. Several thousand PSI, might be quite safe. On the other hand, 400C is really hot.

http://www.webcoindustries.com/tubing/stainless/pressurerati...

[Edited on 6-8-2010 by zed]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:17

Go To Top