Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: self-ionization of water
hyperion210
Harmless

Mood: blah

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 19:43
self-ionization of water

Can someone describe to me the self-ionization of water? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how it happens and what it implies. I know the answer may be rather simple but my text does not explain it at all and I'm curious.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 31-5-2010 at 23:25

Water, at standard environment settings, is ionised into equal amounts of hydroxide and hydronium (in equilib. with H2O).

The attachment and detachment of hydrogen is done via hydrogen bonding (easy, what with all the lone pairs hanging out on the oxygen)

What did you want to know about it? :) (I'm sorry, I don't want to say lots and have it go over your head OR be too simple and make you feel like I assume you're an idiot. I can't tell what your knowledge is.)

EDIT: I didn't say that very well, and I still haven't.

[Edited on 1-6-2010 by psychokinetic]

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-6-2010 at 04:56

There's an old rule in chemistry, indeed in physics in general: if it can happen, it will. You just have to provide enough energy to make it proceed at a noticable rate. In the case of water, ordinarily it would "like" to sit around as a whole molecule. (And let me be specific here: when a physicist or chemist uses the phrase "likes to", they mean "attains a lower energy state", since after all, molecules have no sentient will of their own.) It is possible for a hydrogen to split off, leaving a charged OH- core behind, while sticking to another water, forming H3O+. (And both of these have more molecules sticking to them because of the charge, but for simplicity we'll ignore them.) This causes charge seperation, which is a fairly bizarre thing to happen at random -- it takes a lot of energy to pull charges out of nowhere! Since there's only so much energy available at room temperature, this only occurs rarely, about one part in 10^-14.

More dramatic reactions, like the outright dissociation of water, occur at much higher temperatures. It takes an awful lot of energy to make H2 and O2 from H2O, and this occurs spontaneously at near-plasma temperatures (>3000K!).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hyperion210
Harmless

Mood: blah

[*] posted on 1-6-2010 at 13:59

Thank you Tim that was just the sort of overview I was looking for! All I was given by my teacher was the ion-product constant and basic math applications for it and she's not very helpful when it comes to asking questions so thanks again for taking the time to answer a very simple question.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 1-6-2010 at 17:46

The ion product is 10^-14 so that means 10^-7 moles/liter of water have dissociated. This would be 10^-7mole/55moles, or about 2 molecules per billion molecules.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top