Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solid State Oxidation of Amino-alcohols by Silica supported Mn dioxide?
Pralus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 05:19
Solid State Oxidation of Amino-alcohols by Silica supported Mn dioxide?

I wonder if anyone who has a better chemistry background might shed some light on this.

The above title scenario was used in combination with MW irradiation to oxidise a secondary alcohol group to a ketone in a paper written in '97, which is attached.

Since then it has been theorised that oxidation of a amino-alcohol to an aminoketone in the same Solventless system may also me made without over oxidation to other products.

The theorised further idea was that Silica supported Manganese dioxide may also oxidise phenylmethylaminoalcohol to the corresponding ketone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what products/byproducts may be made in this reaction and factors affecting this such as energy input etc

Some reports indicate the presence of benzaldehyde and thus Mn dioxide not a viable oxidant even in mild conditions as these are. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for all your Chemistry understanding.

Attachment: Mno2 silica MW.pdf (149kB)
This file has been downloaded 2747 times

Pralus
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 06:14

Perhaps I shoul be more specific, as is just a theory, that the suggested synthesis was that 2 methylamino 1 phenylpropan-1-ol in solid state with Silica supported Mn dioxide, 60secs low MW irradiation may produce the corresponding ketone in good yields with minimal use of harmful solvents.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 06:49

Interesting "theoretical" substrate you choose...
Pralus
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 17:16

Yes I agree. Should the reaction be performed, which I'm very sceptical about, I am lucky enough to live in a country with current laws allowing such compounds... Not sure for how long thou! Still, I want to know any opinions... If anyone knows that is.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2010 at 19:53

Similar oxidations in the presence of amines have be done, looks as if they tend to form -C=N- compounds. With alpha-amino alcohols the formation of pyrazines would seem likely.

Attachment: BT-807HP.pdf (175kB)
This file has been downloaded 349 times

Go To Top