Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cathode of high hydrogen over potential
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

Mood: chem

cool.gif posted on 24-7-2010 at 08:31
cathode of high hydrogen over potential

i searched the web for some thing concerning that subject but no thing !!!

what this subject mean ?
practically how can i make this cathode ?

i appreciate any reply

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 15:14

????????????

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/j150541a002

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/j150576a051

http://www.jstor.org/pss/94674

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi...

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 00:08

but this is so specific
i mean general idea or it differ with different electrodes and dependent on concentration of hydrogen ion ?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 04:01

Quote: Originally posted by aeacfm  
but this is so specific

That is true, but then I wander why your question is so non specific. Surely you can't expect to get a specific answer to a non specific question?
Mercury electrodes generally have a very high hydrogen over potential - even so high that sodium cations reduce faster than protons at most current densities, thus forming sodium amalgam. The hydrogen overvoltage of Hg is also relatively independent of the current density (for example, it is -1.1V at 0.01 to 1A/cm^2, and only drops to -0.9V at 0.001A/cm^2). The drawback is in that they are liquid and that the surface tends to passivate with the deposited junk (the metals that deposit or form amalgams, also change its electrode properties). In analytical chemistry all these problems are circumvented by using the classical dropping mercury electrode (as for example in polarography).
In preparative electrochemistry, lead electrodes are commonly used for reductions as they have a high enough overvoltage to be useful in electroreducing many types of substrates rather than causing the proton reduction side reaction (they have an hydrogen overpotential of -1.26V at 1A/cm^2, but this drops significantly at low current densities). They are also rather inert. A lead electrode with the surface impregnated with mercury is more effective in some cases. Copper can also be used in some cases, depending on what is the substrate to be reduced. Other metals with high hydrogen overvoltage include Sn, Bi, Zn and Ni (only at high current densities). Platinum electrodes have the lowest H overpotentials. But obviously, the choice of the electrode depends on the specifics of the intended use - of which you give no information whatsoever.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 06:27

thank you sir too much
you remove a lot of ambiguity to me

so,when i want(cathode) carbon electrode of high hydrogen overpotential , do you have idea about the parameters or simply how to make it work like that ?

many thanks again

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 13:08

i found some thing about glassy carbon electrode

but unfortunately the intended is graphite cathode

any help about that

Go To Top