Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrates
MttLsp
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 17:16
Nitrates

I have a few questions about nitrates and explosives. I looked through the forums and couldn't find answers specific to my questions.

So I just made Potassium Nitrate by reacting Ammonium Nitrate and Potassium Chloride. I cooled the mixture in an ice bath and KNO3 crystals formed. I dried the crytals and tested in by mixing it with powdered sugar and igniting it.
Here are my questions:

1) Why part of the sugar gets oxidized my the KNO3 to cause the reaction, and what are the products?

2) How are NH4NO3 and KNO3 used in explosives. I didn't get into chem to blow shit up, but I'm interested in what chemical reactions take place when things explode. I understand oxidation plays a role, but not much else.

3) What causes oxidation numbers of transition metals to change?

4) What causes the formation and decomposition of unstable substances. Any examples?

Before anyone gives me shit for not posting in the beginners section, I have done so before and not gotten very helpful answers. I learn the most from this forum.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :-)
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 17:47

1) I can forsee H2O, K2O, carbon and nitrogen oxides, and maybe K2CO3?
2) NH4NO3 is typically used as a high explosive in mining and demolition applications. KNO3 is the oxygen source for the 'fire' in the classic black powder.

Energetic reactions occur as electrons move themselves to and from different elements to achieve lower energy levels (and thus more stability) In essence the mixtures that have a high potential energy, given enough activation energy, like to dispose of it as quickly as possible

[Edited on 1-8-2010 by stygian]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 18:07

Besides the obvious majority products, there will also be unburned KNO3 and partially burned sugar (giving rise to the smoky carmel byproducts that include furans and aldehydes). Minor side products may not count for much, but sometimes they have interesting and concentrated odors!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top