Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dry ice nozzles
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 07:51

There is some brief information on CO2 nozzles available in this post; no pictures unfortunately.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
There is some brief information on CO2 nozzles available in this post; no pictures unfortunately.

Thank you very much. Looks like Sauron may be able to help, if I can ever contact him, as he appears to have disappeared for the last few months.

Alternatively, I'll copy his nozzle, see how it works, then try the perforated plate if not.

It's interesting that he says;

Quote:
The important thing is that the dry ice come out only when you need it (JIT) and in slurriable form rather than in big blocks.

Indicating his own nozzle may be producing it thusly, or I have a suspicion he'd have mentioned it given him mentioning the form earlier on.

The mention of a 1/8" hole I think, at these large pressures, is likely acting as a spray forming orifice, like you'd see at the end of a swagged copper or brass welding or brazing tip; the bit that clogs when you fuck up and results in the popping and banging. It'll also be similar to the tip of a spray gun. In the welding example, the hole is relatively large but it's only supporting a flame. For the atomization in a spraygun, it's small and the pressure is "high" (~100psi, unless you're a hippy and using the inferior HV guns). The same single point is also used for misters and foggers, with tiny diameters and "high" pressures. For the CO2 tank, the pressure is huge by comparison (so the hole can be wider), and the desired flow rate is as well. Meaning the 1/8th hole could be forming the fan of CO2. If you think about it, why would he bother with the blanked fitting in the first place if it wasn't? He's obviously trying to show how cheap and easily it can be done, so it wouldn't make sense to include it if there was no logic behind it.

I did a UTFSE prior to posting, but didn't get that post, because I made the heinous error of not selecting 'topics only'.

Right, I'll disappear for a while and hopefully reappear with some photos.

John

[Edited on 8-8-2010 by peach]

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 13:17

You don't need any perforated plates or whatever. Essentially it is just a tube with a few mm large hole prolonged into a cone where you attach the cloth bag to collect the dry ice. At least that is how the one I use look like. The dry ice forms from expansion of the liquid CO2 so I don't really see what role a perforated plate is supposed to have. All you need to pay attention is the vertical red arrow sign on the bomb. If there is one then the bomb has a vertical inner tube and you must not invert it in order to draw out CO2 in liquid form. If there is no arrow you need to invert it which means you need a special stand for safe use.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 16:24

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
You don't need any perforated plates or whatever. Essentially it is just a tube with a few mm large hole prolonged into a cone where you attach the cloth bag to collect the dry ice. At least that is how the one I use look like. The dry ice forms from expansion of the liquid CO2 so I don't really see what role a perforated plate is supposed to have. All you need to pay attention is the vertical red arrow sign on the bomb. If there is one then the bomb has a vertical inner tube and you must not invert it in order to draw out CO2 in liquid form. If there is no arrow you need to invert it which means you need a special stand for safe use.

Thanks Nicodem, this seems pretty easy now I have two references for the actual nozzles themselves. I'll see if I can pick the bits up next week. I may only need a blank.

In the UK, the syphon / stinger tanks have a solid white line down the side, for anyone in the UK who's wondering when they see one. BOC refer to them as 'dip tube' cylinders. The one on the left is such;

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 17:54

Quote: Originally posted by chief  
Who really desperately needs it could try
==> to connect 2 refrigerator-compressors in series ...
==> and compress some CO2 into a reservoir within a deep-cooling fridge ...

At the -20 [Cels] that such a fridge can do (-35 with disabled temperature-regulation)
==> the liquefieing-pressure of the CO2 could be in range for the 2 fridge-compressors (in series) ...

So the CO2 could come from some burning of anything or wherefrom ever ...
==> Only that the N2 from the air might disturb the efficiency ...

CHIEF, YOU AND YOUR IDEA GET A MENTION IN THE VIDEOS IN THIS THREAD

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by peach]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top