Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: turn unwanted CuO back into Cu(OH)2
bob800
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 19:00
turn unwanted CuO back into Cu(OH)2

I made some copper(II) hydroxide by precipitating it from 8g NaOH and 25g CuSO4. I filtered it (gravitationally) and let it sit for a day (in the filter paper), and when I came back much of it had turned black, I think because of copper(II) oxide contamination. On Wikipedia it says that moist copper(II) hydroxide will slowly turn into CuO until its dry, so I think thats what happened.

Anyway, my question is: Is there any way to turn the copper(II) oxide back into copper(II) hydroxide?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 22:27

Redissolve the solid in a little dilute sulphuric acid and then add NaOH again. But now do this while the liquid is very cold and work with more dilute solutions, such that no local hot spots can be formed. Filter the solid and rinse with cold distilled water. Then allow to dry in a cool place. In this way you'll get reasonably pure Cu(OH)2, but not really pure. Cu(OH)2 also absorbs CO2 from air, making a basic carbonate, so your material will be contaminated with some carbonate.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 16-8-2010 at 23:51

If you want to use copper hydroxide to make more copper compounds, I suggest you making copper carbonate with Na2CO3 and CuSO4.

Go To Top