Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Enamine Formation/Reduction
UKnowNotWatUDo
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2010 at 01:10
Enamine Formation/Reduction

Since this post has no references I would hope that it is obvious that I am merely intending to draw upon the knowledge of those of you with many years of practical laboratory experience. I have searched the literature and internet to a great degree and learned much already. I soon intent to take a quantity (around 25g) of alpha-phenylacetophenone (deoxybenzoin) and condense it with a secondary amine, 1-phenylpiperazine, to form the enamine thereof. Obviously after wards I am going to reduce the enamine to a saturated amine with sodium borohydride. I have several ideas and have read several suggested procedures with various reaction solvents and catalysts. However before I attempt the procedure I thought I'd ask anyone with any ACTUAL experience with this type of enamine reduction to throw in their two cents. Whether it's solvent type, catalyst or catalyst amount, in situ enamine formation followed by reduction versus isolating the enamine first and then reducing it to a saturated amine, etc etc.

Thanks for any and all input and I'll be sure to let you know the methods and results after workup is complete. By the way in case anyone was curious the alpha-phenylacetophenone was prepared from Acetophenone, K t-Butoxide and Iodobenzene, in DMSO as discussed (briefly) in my previous thread entitled "Haloalkane Synthesis Help".

Go To Top