Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chromium trioxide problem
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 14-11-2010 at 14:03
chromium trioxide problem

gentlemen will someone help me? h2s04+na2cr4→cro3+naso4+h2o i added 8ml concentrated sulfuric acid to 10 grams of sodium dichromate to make the trioxide for plating solution.how do i go about figuring right amount of sulfuric acid to get the maximum chromium trioxide? gram to ml is confusing. so is density and mm. most problems i googled deal with % of concentrate per litre.and will the cro3 precipitate or will the naso4? i just roughly estimated g/cm ratio of both h2so4 and na2cr4.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 17:28

Sodium dichromate is not Na2Cr4, but Na2Cr2O7.

Assuming that the reaction is

H2SO4 + Na2Cr2O7 → 2CrO3 + Na2SO4 + H2O,

you need equimolar quantities of H2SO4 and sodium dichromate. Using a density of 1.83g/cc for your concentrated H2SO4, it would seem you added 14.6g (=1.83g/cc x 8cc) (~145mmol, assuming 97% acid) or so of acid to 10g (34mmol) of the dichromate (assuming it it the dihydrate). So for the stoichiometry to be balanced, you would need 42.6g (=0.145 moles x 298g/mol) of the dichromate, not ten.
However, I expect that if you use that much, your products will not be in solution; there will only be about 3-4g of water for 65g of salts, i.e. you would end up with a cake even if your reaction went to completion. For this reason, I would suggest using more water. I guess it depends on your separation strategy, though; maybe leaching such a cake with ice cold water would be a reasonable way to try to separate the CrO3 from most of the sulfate.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 18:09
dichromate

thank you much bbartlog. and yes youre right about the cake and the chromate. i guess i over shot a bit. i mean back in 1977 when i said. "i dont need math".i will try the cold water of course.

Go To Top