Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: thermal decomposition of iron nitrate for anode
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 17-1-2011 at 18:20
thermal decomposition of iron nitrate for anode

so i want to know at wath temperature iron nitrate decompose and if it is possible to decompose it to magnetite.

it is for making anode.

thanks!

[Edited on 18-1-2011 by plante1999]
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2011 at 08:14

Thermal decomposition normally results in a powder, unless the remaining end product is liquid in which case I guess you can get a fused mass. Dunno what your plan is to make an anode by such processes, though I imagine it's possible; deposit on something granular and make a fluidized bed anode or something.

Further, in order to get magnetite you need a mixture of oxidation states (+2 and +3), and I believe ferrous nitrate will tend to self-oxidize when heated, along the general lines of
Fe(NO3)2 -> FeO(NO3) + NO2

So by the time you decompose all the nitrates you would end up with substantially all the iron in the +3 oxidation state, i.e. a bunch of Fe2O3, even if you started with an appropriate mix of ferrous and ferric nitrate.
It's possible to prepare ferrites this way (CuO + Fe2O3 for example) but I doubt magnetite per se.

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2011 at 08:21

A simple procedure for making magnetite as a suspension can be found here. I can vouch that it works:

http://www.sci-spot.com/Chemistry/liqimag.htm

But I’m not sure how you would turn the magnetite precipitate into a solid electrode. Beware of the Curie point: the temperature above which a permanent magnet becomes… permanently demagnetised…

Magnetite's CP is 585C, so fairly high, perhaps gentle drying (after washing) at 110C, followed by mixing with small amounts of a polymeric binder (silicone rubber, epoxy resins...) and moulding at 300 - 400C could yield a solid electrode.

What's the end-purpose of the magnetite anode?

[Edited on 18-1-2011 by blogfast25]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-1-2011 at 08:50

ISTR that perchlorates were prepared using magnetite anodes . . .

http://pyrobin.com/files/the%20preparation%20and%20behaviour...

Go To Top