Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Perchlorate by thermal disproportionation.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 30-6-2020 at 01:07
Perchlorate by thermal disproportionation.

Since my cell can produce 350 grams of Chlorate a day which is a lot so Id be fine doing this reaction since I really dont need much perchlorate.

overall using a mixed salt of KClO3 and NaClO3 with ratio 1:2 or 1:1 helps lower reaction temp to save energy required since the formed NaClO4 will exchange with KClO3 forming KClO4 which will remain solid thereafter until all gets converted into NaClO4 and NaCl with some NaClO3 left over converting nearly all potassium salts into KClO4 ideally but ofc its a mix of a bunch of stuff and at best I got around 85-90% of KClO4 yield with my later batches and 81% yield in this video based on KClO3 inputted.
OFC total perchlorate conversion including NaClO4 the yield is terrible but that doesnt matter for me
Video link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPCo_jDAOr4

I used an old aluminum pan with lid + ceramic saucer for the reaction chamber.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 30-6-2020 at 07:07

This is pretty much the reaction chamber I use for the process where I have sand at the bottom of an aluminum plate and a ceramic dish which ive tested can widthstand up to 700 Celsius in a similar steel pot without cracking but going beyond 600 you need to ensure it cools slowly.

Reaction temp for my perchlorate synthesis is only 450-500 so no need to worry and even while lid is off its all fine had no failures so far and if a failure occurs the sand will catalyze the decomposition below into oxygen.

HT Salt Reactor.png.jpg - 94kB

Go To Top