Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rotavap RE111 motor dismantling
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 20-3-2011 at 09:26
Rotavap RE111 motor dismantling

My RE started to make serious noise, i suspect something is wrong in the gear drive. I tried to disassemble it, but to no avail. Does anybody have an explosion drawing of the motor? Thanks!

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 20-3-2011 at 10:30

Post a pic, I disassembled one a long time ago, but can't remember how the bearing/motor area was setup on that model. In my case it was the same problem, gears were stripped, the rotovap was making a lot of noise. The gear sets are expensive. Oh and you don't need to remove the motor to get at that area.

FYI: I think the root cause of the problem was leaky seals on the rotovap which caused some solvent vapors to get into the gearbox.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 24-3-2011 at 00:10

i just did this a few weeks ago, its tricky and i got held up until a friend figured it out for me, in the end it was a smuv said and my bearings were corroded, i soaked them overnight in a mixture of miracle super release agent and silicion grease and the next morning they were fine and its been running fine since. i'm sure you can also get replacement bearings. Another friend has the drawings i can chase them up if you like.

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 24-3-2011 at 09:32

Good to know you had luck salvaging the bearings.

Another thing I should add just for completeness, when the teflon(?) vacuum seals that support the whole rotating assembly start to get worn out, the rotovap also starts making loud whining noises, but only under vacuum. The noises are probably caused by air being sucked into the system by leaks in this assembly.
cauthom1497
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 15:14

I would greatly appreciate a picture. I'm thinking of attempting to build one. The picture would help me a lot. I've seen one taken apart before

Its a fairly simple machine, just a pump, motor, and heating apparatus. The hardest parts are the bearing and the intricate glassware. I have access to a glassblower who can make the glass condenser and solvent traps for me.

To this end, where would you go about buying/replacing the bearing?
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 5-4-2011 at 12:17

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
Another friend has the drawings i can chase them up if you like.

Please, get them! I need my unit back in working order ASAP. Thanks! :D

Go To Top