Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moonshine
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 15:02
Moonshine

Hahaha wonna share a video of me making moonshine with you Dear forum members.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xP6hsaI8o&t=2s
Romix

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 15:19

I've bought lots of reduced grapes at Morrison's, you'll need about a pack per 5 litre of brew.
Wait till some mould starts showing on the grapes.
Then crashed every single grape using pestle and mortal. And put all crashed grapes in a 5 litre plastic bottle.
Now dissolve about 1/3 of a sugar pack in warm water... Boil the water first in a kettle to remove chlorinating agents as microbes that do produce ethanol don't like it, that's why you get a decent yield of moonshine only from the second distillation on the same solution. I've using the same solution about 5 times and then I'm leaving it for Vinegar production.
Now leave it somewhere outside in your garden, making sure lid is not closed, otherwise it will explode.
You will notice a fizzing and bubbling on the second day.
Wait a week and then distil the ethanol off. First 300ml of distillate is pure ethanol, if you distil longer your moonshine will be diluted with water.
How I do it. When brewing is finished and brew is ready to be distilled, I put a massive plastic sieve on 5 litre beaker, and pour the brew through it, catch all the crashed grapes on sieve, leaving clean solution to be distilled.
Then wearing gloves I put all the crashed grapes back in to the plastic bottle, and pour about 300ml - 500ml of the brew back to the bottle. Then I'm distilling off the ethanol, when that's done. I add more sugar to the solution used and leaving to ferment sugar for another week. Like that 5 times easily not changing the solution. Saves tons of water that way.

[Edited on 24-7-2022 by Romix]

DSC00403.thumb.JPG.741aae3078262b6fabc56012739796e2.jpg - 139kB
Romix

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 15:25

If you leave the brew to ferment for too long, you'll notice an Ethyl Acetate smell in it...
And you can't drink that.
That's what happened with my last batch, family from abroad came to visit me and in that time I didn't had a chance to distil it.
But you can still distil it and use it as a fire starting liquid, it even burns in a zippo lighters. Almost any pure alcohol do.

Romix

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 15:27

Right last time I've drank a litre of this moonshine, had a great time.
And not had a hangover in the morning at all.
Can't wait to produce more.
But wine with much lower percentage of alcohol from the shop gets me pissed much more then mine 70%+ moonshine.
But hangovers are disgusting from wine...

Romix

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 22:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOqF2wyaqA
Also bought this Buchner funnel with 5 litre flask, for the money that I won on slots.
Found a great seller, he sold me a reactor that I use in my moonshine distillation, large Buchner funnel and 5 litre flask also a dropping funnel that sits perfectly on a reactor with the same joint size, and another lid for the reactor with multi outlets... All went very cheap.
What I need now is to buy a gas out adapter for the joints that I have to drip acid using a dropping funnel and pump out the gas out of the reactor.
In this video I use cheap hand vacuum pump from China, it's ok on a small scale Buchner funnel, but on a big one you need to pump it non stop otherwise filter coming off when you pour, and you need a second person to pour while you pump. you can't do it alone, unfortunately. But it could be a doggy filters, first I've received unbranded filters and I used them in the video. Then I reported it to the seller and he sent me more filters, branded this time, made by Whatman, completely free of charge.
Also I have one massive Buchner funnel that I can't find filter papers for, contacted Merk directly asking, been few months since, they didn't reply to me. On Ebay you can get a set of bungs that suits every Buncher funnel exists, got one set for like 10 quid, very happy with the purchase, suits all the funnels that I have.

DSC00410.JPG.fc6edd14c1e40736bc70dc8c2f91f107.jpg - 68kBDSC00397.JPG.2b327dd81c2e5f32431570e3dd73c36f.jpg - 96kB
Romix

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 22:53

Need to get an electric and powerful vacuum pump, found this on Ebay is the cheapest, even cheaper then buying used ones there. But I don't know how to use it, because I never had one. Do you need to buy adapters for the vacuum hose separately or everything is included in the deal? How often do I need to change oil in it? Can I filter solutions with very acidic vapours using it? Don't know Sreetips been using something similar for years doing Gold recovery. And I think his pump still works after years of use, not watched him in a while. But He is the one that introduced me to this forum ScienceMadness.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332546641825

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 05:10

How are you measuring the purity of your product?
Romix

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 05:12

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
How are you measuring the purity of your product?

by taste ...
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 12:41
Hydrometer

One of these from Walmart for about $8 will work. Testing is at 60 F on the last
hydrometer I owned.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 13:00

Be advised that some methanol IS produced in a fermentation, especially from a fruit "mash". Toss your first ten percent of distillate. Seriously. And watch your thermometer.

I have some experience in this area ;)

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 16:56
Experience

Arkoma, I agree with you about the methanol. In my experience, close watch on
the thermometer is crucial. When I ran my reflux still, the methanol, acetone and
other nasties would come over in the "head". On my thermometer, this occurred
in the mid 60's Celsius. Then the pot would heat up and the ethanol came over in
the upper 70's Celsius. When the temperature increased into the 80's I shut down
the still because I didn't want the "tail" to come over as well.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2022 at 19:34

Don't toss heads and tails,
although a little smelly - they are useful as a cleaner/solvent.
Or fuel for a spirt lamp etc.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Romix

[*] posted on 22-8-2023 at 20:35

Quote: Originally posted by Romix  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOqF2wyaqA
Also bought this Buchner funnel with 5 litre flask, for the money that I won on slots.
Found a great seller, he sold me a reactor that I use in my moonshine distillation, large Buchner funnel and 5 litre flask also a dropping funnel that sits perfectly on a reactor with the same joint size, and another lid for the reactor with multi outlets... All went very cheap.
What I need now is to buy a gas out adapter for the joints that I have to drip acid using a dropping funnel and pump out the gas out of the reactor.
In this video I use cheap hand vacuum pump from China, it's ok on a small scale Buchner funnel, but on a big one you need to pump it non stop otherwise filter coming off when you pour, and you need a second person to pour while you pump. you can't do it alone, unfortunately. But it could be a doggy filters, first I've received unbranded filters and I used them in the video. Then I reported it to the seller and he sent me more filters, branded this time, made by Whatman, completely free of charge.
Also I have one massive Buchner funnel that I can't find filter papers for, contacted Merk directly asking, been few months since, they didn't reply to me. On Ebay you can get a set of bungs that suits every Buncher funnel exists, got one set for like 10 quid, very happy with the purchase, suits all the funnels that I have.

One guy on Ebay sold me 100 filter papers for my massive funnel made by Whatman in a sealed original box, for less then 15£ with the delivery.
Merck selling them for more then 100£+... and they never reply to messages...
100 X Whatman FILTER PAPER hardened Ashless Circles 240 mm
Still not put any oil in my pressure pump, not seeing any thing worth starting it.

Go To Top