Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Formation of SiH4 on planet
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 21-5-2023 at 15:53
Formation of SiH4 on planet

Hi!

I started my world-building project and I have an interesting idea for one of my planets. It have reducing atmosphere containing some hydrogen. I have an idea that planet could have some volcanic silane vents. SiH4 would be formed in this sequence:

1. Reaction of SiO2 with FeS2 at very high temperatures (around 1400 °C) with formation of SiS2 and Fe3O4. Vaporized SiS2 than solidify in large deposits in colder reagions of planets crust.

2. During some tectonic event SiS2 is reheated and it react with molten chloride salts or gaseous HCl to form SiCl4.

3. SiCl4 then go in to active hydrogen vent in which react with hydrogen to form SiH4 and HCl.

I found one paper about reaction of SiO2 with FeS:

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&p...

I didn't find anyhting about reaction of SiS2 with molten chlorides, so I am not sure if it is possible or not. But SiS2 is pretty reactive molecule, so I can imagine it could work. Reaction with HCl should work (but I am also not sure if it is possible in the absence of water), but in that case I must think about mechanisms of generation of HCl.

What do you think? Does this idea look at least somewhat realistic?
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 21-5-2023 at 16:37

Hi!
Very interesting and original idea, do you have any photos;)?It seems quite realistic to me, there is certainly a similar or even the same world in the Universe.In the Universe all possibilities must be fulfilled, this is one of the important ontological laws!
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2023 at 08:57

Thanks! I am glad that this make sense. Another interesting route would be reduction of SiF4 by hydrogen. I found that SiF4 is formed in large quantities in volcanic plumes.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 23-5-2023 at 14:23

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Thanks! I am glad that this make sense. Another interesting route would be reduction of SiF4 by hydrogen. I found that SiF4 is formed in large quantities in volcanic plumes.

In nature, SiF4 and similar exotic gases and compounds are used in residual magma to form pegmatites.They are mainly concentrated light and rare elements,elements that volatilize at high temperatures with water vapor from the magma and cannot be used in the main crystallization of magma. These are boron,lithium and beryllium and lead to the formation of gems such as aquamarine, morganite, coloured tourmaline-elbaite,topaz... There could be a pegmatite planet somewhere in the Universe full of beautiful gems! And I believe it does exist, I'm just sorry that it hasn't been discovered yet and I can't go there...

[Edited on 23-5-2023 by Admagistr]
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2023 at 06:38

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  

In nature, SiF4 and similar exotic gases and compounds are used in residual magma to form pegmatites.They are mainly concentrated light and rare elements,elements that volatilize at high temperatures with water vapor from the magma and cannot be used in the main crystallization of magma. These are boron,lithium and beryllium and lead to the formation of gems such as aquamarine, morganite, coloured tourmaline-elbaite,topaz... There could be a pegmatite planet somewhere in the Universe full of beautiful gems! And I believe it does exist, I'm just sorry that it hasn't been discovered yet and I can't go there...

[Edited on 23-5-2023 by Admagistr]

That's interesting! I could make some moon in inner system with pegmatite composition.

Go To Top