Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phenol to salicaldahyde how?
HankTheHam
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2023 at 06:32
Phenol to salicaldahyde how?

I’m trying to convert aspirin to benzaldehyde and I have it all figured out except for the conversion of phenol to salicaldehyde then salicaldehyde to benzaldehyde I know about the Reimer–Tiemann reaction and that’s the route I’m wanting to take so if anyone here has any experience with this help with the set up and measurements of chemicals would be appreciated

Edit:Never mind I found a paper on this that explains everything in good detail from what I have heard this reaction is a horrible way to prepare salicaldehyde so I’m going to do it just for the challenge
[Edited on 13-7-2023 by HankTheHam]

[Edited on 13-7-2023 by HankTheHam]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 13-7-2023 at 08:43

From here https://www.sciencemadness.org/madscifaq.html#2.1_Board_topi...

Quote:
Do not request spoonfeeding of information for clandestine drug manufacture. However, every sort of chemistry is a permissible topic of discussion if you discuss it like a scientist. If someone is asking about obtaining chemicals used in drug manufacture and using the vocabulary of a SWIM—"someone who isn't me"—-mer more than a chemist, report it and the thread will be dealt with after a moderator has confirmed your findings. Similarly, if someone is asking for help with a synthetic "recipe" for a known street drug, report that too. Don't bother to berate the cooks in the thread itself instead; that doesn't bring the mods any faster. In truth the mods and most members dislike any thread where someone is seeking or using a "recipe" and doesn't show any deeper interest in chemistry, but this has been mostly a problem with drug synthesis because of the many people who want to quickly get rich or high.

Also, our site search engine sucks. use
Code:
site:sciencemadness.org search term
in google

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2023 at 10:40

Dont do reimer tiemann, it blows. i posted about my experience here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61964&...
i recommend doing the Mg mediated formylation instead.
HankTheHam
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2023 at 14:55

Alright upon further analysis my post sounds really sketchy I’m not a meth head looking for a quick high or someone looking to make money I’m just a really Amateur chemist who had an idea for a project I didn’t think about it too hard I was smelling some almond extract and liked the smell knowing it was benzaldehyde producing the smell I put together the outline to a synthesis of benzaldehyde from aspirin I’m pretty amateur so I don’t have a big chemist vocabulary so I came here asking for some help on a step I was stuck on sorry about my demeanor
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 14-7-2023 at 05:31

The ortho-formylation of interest in drug synthesis is just one of five or six steps, depending on the precursors, and it's one of the easier ones. Furthermore, you don't start with plain phenol.

So I don't think that this particular reaction should be so scrutinized, particularly since the OP didn't even mention the compound which is actually a precursor.

Salicylaldehyde to benzaldehyde is likely to be very hard, though. Consider a different target.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]

Go To Top