Author: Subject: Thietane synthesis, a goofy looking compound
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 24-11-2023 at 11:54
Thietane synthesis, a goofy looking compound

Hello you all, i wanted to share today a synthesis i performed some days ago
As some might know i like experimenting with organosulfur compound

Looking into the synthesis of tetrahydrothiophene starting from dihalogeno butane, and Na2S in DMF i figured that i could try using some of my 1,3 dibromo propane in order to make the 4 atom ring version of it.

The whole procedure was inspired by the following Orgsyn article (https://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV4P0892)

To start, in a erlenmeyer flask i added 80ml of DMF with a magnetic stirrer and heated the whole thing until reaching a slight reflux
On the side a 60% solution of 10g of Na2S was prepared in hot water, and on the other side 25g of 1,3 dibromopropane (sourced from TCI) was sampled

Both reagents were added slowly by a septum using a seringe during a few minutes, controlling the ebullition of the mix

At this time the reaction mix became slightly cloudy, and a slight sulfurous smell was detectable

The reaction was refluxed for the next 2 hours.
At this point my whole lab was definitely smelling like a mix of burnt meat and city gas

The apparatus was arranged to distill away the product, after 2h of distillation i obtained around 1g of thietane as a yellow liquid, denser than water with a extremely strong sulfurous smell.

In order to increase the yeild i added 5 more grams of Na2S in water to the reaction mix and continued to distill (upon addition the mix turned into a dark emerald green color for some reason)

After pushing the distillation further i then added water to the cloudy mixture and extracted it with DCM (i would avoid using NaOH or NaCl if you use DCM as it can mess up the emulsion)

DCM was then slowly evaporated leaving me with 2,7g of a yellow liquid with a boiling point of 94°C, still having a very strong sulfur smell.

I could in theory check the refractory index but i dont really want to make my whole refractometer smell like shit, and so far the product seem to behave like expected

Litterature obtained a yeild of 70% for tetrahydrothiophene, in my case the final yeild was of 30%. I believe that using chloro bromo propane instead of dibromo might prevent polymerisation of some kind and favor the cyclisation, but the straining in such small rings might also be a reason for the low yeild.

I have no real uses for it but is a funny looking compound that i tought was nice to share about

Here you can see some pictures of the compound in question

Thanks for reading :3

20231119_110554.jpg - 614kB 20231118_173539.jpg - 800kB

[Edited on 24-11-2023 by Ormarion]

[Edited on 24-11-2023 by Ormarion]

Attachment: phpov1QET (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 56 times

UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2023 at 09:10

Do you have any actual evidence that you made the compound in question? I would think that with such significant ring strain, just about any other reaction product would be likely. Fortunately you used an excess of Na2S because there's likely a real risk of a bis-haloalkylthioether forming which is a sulfur mustard analogue.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2023 at 11:25

Boiling point of 94 degrees? You could question how this was measured, but this sounds quite definitive.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 25-11-2023 at 11:37

Thanks for the messages, i haven't performed any precise analysis on it (i could eventually do a NMR) but i found some procedures using this pathway online. Above that the boiling point measured was by trying to boil the liquid itself when finishing to evaporate dcm as well as during distillation. Concerning the mustart problem this was something i tought about wich is why i took extreme care during the handling of it, but even you people know that with organo thiols, even the smallest amount can stink a entire lab
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 26-11-2023 at 00:18

Thietane and its derivatives are alarm pheromones of mice (ref 1ref 2). If you have a problem with rodents, you can now scare them off

Wroom wroom

Go To Top