Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis pathway from CBN to Delta-9 THC?
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 5-12-2023 at 10:09
Synthesis pathway from CBN to Delta-9 THC?

I have been looking around the web and I can't seem to find anything that gives even a slight idea of a pathway that would work for turning CBN into Δ9-THC. I've only managed to find ways to do this with CBD. The CBN and Δ9-THC molecules are very similar the only difference I can see is that there are two fewer double bonds on the benzene ring on the Δ9-THC molecule.
Does anyone know how I would go about adding the two double bonds on the CBN molecule or even if this is possible?

Note: This is just for fun, I will not be consuming or selling any potentially illicit molecules.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-12-2023 at 11:51

I think if you spent as much time reading up on fundamental organic chemistry as you do daydreaming “easy” routes to psychoactive substances, you wouldn’t have to ask this question.

Reducing an aromatic ring (thereby breaking aromaticity) is not easy. Doing it selectively with more than one ring present is next to impossible. An aromatic ring doesn’t actually have double bonds. Go read up on aromaticity. You’ll see there’s good reason this route isn’t used.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
5-12-2023 at 11:52
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2023 at 13:08

There might be some really clever solution, but the reaction of CBD ----> THC is just so easy and there is so much written about it, what's the point? Usually during this CBD ----> THC conversion some CBN is generated when stray oxygen abstracts the 2 hydrogens from the molecule. Trying to selectively hydrogenate CBN to delta 9 THC sounds like an absolute nightmare as you have to deal with not forming any of the other possible THC isomers.

Interested to talk about this topic though if you U2U me.
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 5-12-2023 at 15:44

The reason why I didn't use use CBD is mostly because I don't have access it otherwise I would have used that from the start.
Thanks for the info.

Go To Top