Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adrenochrome synthesis, time to become immortal?
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

biggrin.gif posted on 21-12-2023 at 03:22
Adrenochrome synthesis, time to become immortal?

Hey everyone, wanted to do a little post on a synthesis i recently perfomed for a video i am preparing

Since a long time i wanted to make adrenochrome by the oxydation of adrenaline in order to debunk some of the bullshit around it. The adrenaline was purchased online from a chemical supplier but it could also be made rather easily (just keep in mind it very toxic)

-First of all i prepared silver oxide dissolving in water 15g of silver nitrate and 4,8g of sodium hydroxide in warm water
-Upon mixing both solution a gray brown precipitate form immediatly and is filtered out
-I then slowly dried the freshly made silver I oxide in my oven and finished to remove the water by gently heating it over my blow torch

-On the side of this i prepared a small RBF and added 6ml of dry methanol to it as well as a stirring bar, and put the container in a water bath kept at 35°C

-To this mix was then added 0,12ml of concentrated formic acid, followed by careful addition of 120mg of adrenochrome (the freebase immediatly dissolve) , i then flushed the RBF with argon

-Finally 1,4g of dried silver oxide is measured and added at once to the mix with strong stirring

-The solution goes from a slight yellow to a extremely strong red blood color
Following the protocol the reaction was let to stirr for 1 minute and then filtered 2 time and washed with a bit of methanol

Adrenochrome is known to be relatively unstable at RT, especially in acidic environnement where it polymerise in a few dozen mins.

At this point i used a bit to much methanol and tried to evaporate it with the help of my rotavap

I managed upon cooling to crystallize a few crystals but most of it stayed in solution
Since i was out of time i storred the solution at -25°C without trying to precipitate with the use of diethyl ether like the procedure claim to

So yea, i will probably post a few updates on if i manage to isolate more of it later and when i post the video about it

On the side i found a few patents claiming the oxidation of it work using copper salts and persulfate salts so feel free to tell me if any of you need the ressources for it and want to share the result obtained

Anyway here is a few pictures i made, enjoy :3

20231219_131007.jpg - 476kB 20231219_131038.jpg - 440kB

Screenshot_20231219-120553_Gallery.jpg - 179kB
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2023 at 04:11

Nice experiment, thx for sharing !!! Beautiful color, exactly as you wrote, like a blood.
Nobody is immortal. All human body cells contain "suicidal" program (apoptosis) to allow damaged cells to die and be later perhaps replaced by new cells (created by mitosis from other healthy cells). The apoptosis program has also a meaning in prevention of uncontrolled multiplication of genetically defective cells (carcinomas). Sometimes we try to block apoptosis of cells which do not divide (brain cortical neurons) but at current level of science / medicine we are able to add at best 1-2 extra years of life to people suffering from dementia. Even if we develop methods to keep human body healthy, the biggest limitation of immortality is the brain.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 21-12-2023 at 07:47

Thank you :3 yea of course no one is immortal (except maybe if u a medusa?). I just saw so much conspiracies (even from my dad) around it being extracted by torturing childrens etc than i wanted to show how easy it is for any chemist to make this compound, not speaking about the fact its nearly biologically inactive compared to adrenaline itself
Quieraña
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2023 at 13:09

I can't believe that rumors like that gain any faith.. but yeah, I think in highschool I was a sucker for conspiracies, even that one about adrenochrome. Really beautiful pictures and I look forward to the video. Thanks for sharing.

Go To Top