Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precipitation of proteins from expired milk
palico
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2024 at 09:03
Precipitation of proteins from expired milk

Hello people,

I am back to extract chemicals from food waste. Today, we see the precipitation of proteins from expired milk. The procedure is very simple, proteins are precipitated out lowering pH of milk with vinegar. Let's find out !

Procedure

1 liter of skimmed expired cow milk is poured into a large glass jar and brought to 65 C, under stirring on a hotplate. Once reached, 150 ml of 6% vinegar is slowly added. The reaction mixture kept going for 45 minutes, when the jar is removed from hotplate, let standing until cooled down to room temperature. A precipitate forms from whey. The suspension is filtered through cotton plug: filtrate, the whey is stored apart, while the semi-solid white residue is redissolved in water and filtered again through tablecloth, pressed to remove as much water as possible, then in paper. Lastly, the off-white product is treated with 200 ml of acetone, filtered through tablecloth, this pressed on cardbox, then let dry in open air.
50.42 g of skin-colored powder are obtained, which are almost quantitatively the amount of proteins declared on milk nutrition facts label.

cut.jpg - 374kB IMG_20230203_085135.jpg - 625kB

Discussion

The proteins look like to oxidize in air. I repeated the procedure twice more with fresh sheep milk and long expired skimmed cow milk. Yield were almost identical. Fresh milk proteins do not darken in air. The three type of proteins have been reacted with 33% formalin to form galalith, but reaction failed, and just fresh milk proteins gave an harder product of reaction. That is because galalith is formed by casein only, instead here we have all milk proteins not just casein.

Another test is performed with 60% nitric acid. 100 mg of each sample is added of few ml of acid and warmed a bit. After vigurous reaction, a yellow color is obtained. That means positive test. From whey, lactose can be recovered.

galalith test_2.jpg - 164kB

As usual I link you to my YT video for more detailed procedure.

Thanks for attention,

palico

Transform waste into resources.
Animus tuus dominus.
YT Channel ZodaChem: https://www.youtube.com/@zodd0001/featured
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2024 at 16:07

What can you use these denatured proteins for?

I guess they are insoluble?

[Edited on 28-1-2024 by Tsjerk]
palico
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2024 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
What can you use these denatured proteins for?

I guess they are insoluble?

[Edited on 28-1-2024 by Tsjerk]

I was thinking to hydrolize those proteins to the component aminoacids, and try to separate them. Have you anything else to suggest ?

Transform waste into resources.
Animus tuus dominus.
YT Channel ZodaChem: https://www.youtube.com/@zodd0001/featured

Go To Top