Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What can I do with urea?
sternman318
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 16:00
What can I do with urea?

I have about 7 instant icepack-fuls of it, and I can't figure outwhat the heck to do with it haha. Just so you guys know, Walgreenes brand instand icepacks dont have ammonium nitrate lol.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 17:10

are you sure? if its ammonium nitrate mix some with sodium hydroxide and water and burn it with sugar or sulfur and charcoal. i use walgreens cold packs to make nitric acid. unless it says on the package that its urea.some use urea to drive out nitric acid in gold chloride solutions.you also can look at the preparation of cyanide thread here.
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:00

Well I don't have any strong bases, so the extent of my tests were to dissolve it and add some NaHCO3 and look for gas evolution, but I did not notice any... is this what it looked like?

[Edited on 24-4-2011 by sternman318]

DSC_0498.JPG - 121kB
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:10

yup! this is the second time i read someone looking for the ammonia release without sodium hydroxide.baking soda is fine but you have to heat the soda/water nitrate solution until most ammonia is driven off. if you're using sodium hydroxide then you dont need heat because the hydroxide will produce it. look at nurd rage's video.dont throw the packs away.i put one prill on the tip of my tongue and it got pretty cool. i dont know if urea will do this,not wise to test this way though.
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:13

woo! im pretty happy now, I got a crap-load of ammonium nitrate :D Thanks! now its time to get some strong base...
sternman318
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:20

btw, you mentioned you make nitric acid from it- how do you do that? My few ideas have been:
Make copper nitrate. Heat it up and bubble the NO2 through water
Add Sulfuric acid. Cool it and decant off solution ( NaSO4 has low solubility in cold)
bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:48

Quote: Originally posted by sternman318  
btw, you mentioned you make nitric acid from it- how do you do that?

Here's a video by NurdRage of exactly that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yE7v4wkuZU. Be careful!!

BTW, sodium hydroxide is a very useful base that's available at hardware stores (specifically Ace Hardware, if you're in the US) under the name of Lye (specifically Rooto brand is very pure).
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 18:50

i have tried bubbling the red fumes through water,make your sodium nitrate first. then boil it with water and when it cools add sulfuric acid then put in freezer.it will salt out but keep the solution.this will make a weak acid but will come to life when you heat the solution and metals. it will be strong enough to make copper nitrate easy.there is a youtube video on this.i've done it with coffee pots joined with oil lamp tubes and held together tight with loop flanges made of baling wire. like a basketball rim sort of.you need a bunch of teflon tape for gasket material.harbor freight sell it for .22 cents per roll. you will be limited to make only as much as sulfiric acid/salt can fit in a coffee pot in a horizontal position but it will condense on the inside of the tubes and be very, very stout.just do it outside and dont stand close watching it.whats odd is that it works just as good on a 100 deg. day as in a freezing day.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2011 at 19:01

sternman318 and others. please do be careful. i dont do this anymore,the nitrogen dioxide is difficult to contain and at the very least you will have constant headaches.i know it is a very irresponsible way to do this but i've done worse in my endeavor to trap the red fumes.

Go To Top