Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium Hydroxide from Sodium Hydroxide and Calcium Chloride
stevevb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2011 at 09:56
Calcium Hydroxide from Sodium Hydroxide and Calcium Chloride

As a beginner, I have been working with experiments out of books and have yet to come up with any on my own so. I need some Calcium hydroxide and thought I would make my own. I was hoping that my calculations and assumptions could be verified before I proceed. Thanks in advance.

The reaction I am looking to run is
2NaOH + CaCl -> Ca(OH)2 + NaCl in water
I have performed a test-tube scale reaction and I get the expected white precipitate. The quantities I plan to use for the full run are .5mol NaOH (~20g) in 200ml H2O to this I will stir in .25mol CaCl (~28g). The white precipitate Ca(OH)2 will be filtered ( looks like this will take some time ) and then washed to remove other compounds. After filtering I will try the Calcium hydroxide and I should end up with ~15g after what was left in solution and mechanical losses.

Am I on the right track here?
Thanks again.

Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2011 at 10:23

sounds reasonable enough, its a very easy reaction.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 29-4-2011 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by stevevb  
The white precipitate Ca(OH)2 will be filtered ( looks like this will take some time ) and then washed to remove other compounds.
You can cut down on the filtering time by letting the precipitate settle in a tall vessel and decanting the clear water and then pour just the wet precipitate onto your filter. Wash it first by stirring up with water, settle, decant the water and repeat a few times before finally filtering.

[Edited on 29-4-2011 by entropy51]

Go To Top