Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chloral hydrate
destrovel
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 09:51
chloral hydrate

Did a quick search, and i didnt find anything. Can chloral hydrate be synth'd by bubbling chlorine gas through ethanol under acidic conditions? I was thinking a simple electrolysis of saltwater to give chlorine gas, and bubbling it through ethanol for a very simple synth. does the ethanol have the be dry? any enlightenment would be appreciated.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 10:08

Quote: Originally posted by destrovel  
Did a quick search, and i didnt find anything. Can chloral hydrate be synth'd by bubbling chlorine gas through ethanol under acidic conditions? I was thinking a simple electrolysis of saltwater to give chlorine gas, and bubbling it through ethanol for a very simple synth. does the ethanol have the be dry? any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Chloral hydrate?!

A solution of chloral hydrate in alcohol called "knockout drops"
was used to prepare a Mickey Finn.

This recreational drug (Anna Nicole Smith comes to mind)
only yields 10x6 Google hits.
destrovel
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 10:18

i meant, i did a search on making it by bubbling chlorine through ethanol, and nothing too helpful came up.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-5-2011 at 10:23

Please don't underestimate the intelligence of the members here or overestimate their patience! If you would have used the search engine you would have found at least one thread on the topic of direct chlorination of ethanol to chloral. So either you are blatantly lying or you are terribly bad in using the search engine.

In any case, referenceless threads should be created in the Beginnings section only, where this one goes.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
4-5-2011 at 10:23

Go To Top