Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Converting ClO2 to HClO2 quickly.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 07:45
Converting ClO2 to HClO2 quickly.

Hello everyone.

I've been making aluminium based batteries for a while now and I am currently working on a battery design that uses a strong oxidizing agent instead of air. So doing a quick search, I compiled a list of oxidizers that might be suitable for use in aluminium batteries. The first on my list was potassium permanganate which seems very promising as an oxidizer in a battery. I got the redox chemistry mostly figured out and it seems like an aluminium-KMnO4 battery would pack quite a punch in a small package.
Here's the anode half reaction:
Al + 3OH- ----> Al(OH)3 + 3e- +1.66V

Then I thought of another oxidizer I could use. I know all of you are familiar with it, NaClO3. I don't care about the cation, so its potassium counterpart would also work. I found a half reaction that uses the chlorate anion:
ClO3- + 2H+ + e- ---->ClO2(g) +H2O +1.18V

The problem here is the evolution of chlorine dioxide gas. Another reaction takes care of this problem:
ClO2 + H+ + e- ----> HClO2 +1.19V

But chlorine dioxide is poorly soluble in water. It would take a really long time for the ClO2 to diffuse into the water and react with electrons at the cathode. So here's my question, what can I bubble this gas through, to obtain chlorous acid quickly? I was thinking about bubbling this gas through a solution of HCl and FeII, but I'm not sure if this will work. My goal here is to convert the chlorine dioxide rapidly into chlorous acid so that it can participate in the following reaction to generate even more electricity:
HClO2 + 2H+ +2e- ----> HClO+ H2O +1.67V

Any ideas?

Go To Top