Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help to build a Vacuum Reduction unit
MrFrugii
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 22:20
Need help to build a Vacuum Reduction unit

Hello, Please excuse me but I have no background with chemistry etc. My part time job is a home business that makes very high end ice cream, chocolates and cakes. I do have a small 'coldfinger professional unit' from http://www.edenlabs.org/home_light_commercial.html t make my extracts - typically vanilla. However what I would like to do is to remove alcohol and or water from say a red wine, or remove water from fruit purees. I did some research and found that I need something like:

1. water recirculating aspirator pump
2. vacuum flask
3. magnetic stiring hot plate

Now, I understand that by pulling a decent vacuum, the water and alcohol will boil at a much lower temperature, and I will be able to remove these to be left with a relatively still intact reduction (color, smell, taste). However, I also can see there has been some debate on what type of vacuum pump (or type) to use.

Would someone be so kind as to help me choose the right equipment to do this - I believe my current kit - according to the manufacturer can't be re-used because it 'can't hold the vacuum' as the base is not round?

Any help appreciated - willing to learn!
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 08:13

Looks like a large scale soxhlet extractor. The flat bottom one would break if you put a vacuum on it.

You could get a large pot or pressure cooker and modify it with a hose barb and seal around the lid. Make sure it can withstand the vacuum. Then attach it to a water aspirator and put the pot on an oven. The steam will flush down the drain. Sure it wastes water but is the easiest and you don't have to worry about distilling alcohol.

You need a condenser if you want to use a mechanical pump, then it becomes a distillation apparatus. A brand new kit from United Glass Tech with a large flask would be nice.

I don't know about making reductions but the flavor might also boil away.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 08:23

I just spent twenty minute and four times the words to say exacly the same thing, although less clearly.
I then previewed it, saw mr crows concise reply, deleted mine and wrote this piece of advice.
'do what mr crow says'

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 12-1-2012 at 09:18

Thanks! Although its always good to have more opinions

EDIT: I just thought of something

If the liquid boils too fast it may overpower the vacuum pump. The pressure will rise but so will the boiling point, making boiling slower. Therefore just keep the pot at a constant temperature, like 50 deg C.

[Edited on 12-1-2012 by mr.crow]

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Go To Top