Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses for Solvated Copper Ions?
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 13:14
Uses for Solvated Copper Ions?

I have recently run an inorganic reaction, that, upon purification of my target product, left as a bi-product a very concentrated solution of copper ions, with some chloride and sulfate in it as well.

Can anyone suggest any good uses for this? I have the following copper salts; sulfate, chloride, iodide, aspirinate, nitrate, carbonate, phosphate, acetate and formate, and a variety of acids, bases and other useful, general purpose lab chemicals as well as a few speciality ones.

I haven't the materials to make a thermite composition from it, though, and have done the usual common experiments involving copper salts (dehydrating and rehydrating, different reactions, etc.) .....any other ideas? I'd be really appreciative, and it would be a great shame for this amount of solvated copper ions (in water) to go to waste. Thanks.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 13:23

Precipitate it with sodium carbonate filter the basic carbonate and dissolve it in H2SO4 evaporate to get copper sulphate.

Bromide complexe and cuprates salt are interesting with copper.

I never asked for this.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 13:31

I already have the basic carbonate and the sulfate, but alas have no bromide salts:( for anything in the lab. Would love to get some though!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 18:27

I've used my acidic copper salts with various other dissolved metals from circuit board digestion to dye my concrete planters with. Of course, that's just me.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 00:26

I would precipitate the copper with hydroxide and keep the slurry of copper hydroxide after rinsing and drying it. You then have impure copper hydroxide/oxide/carbonate, which is a nice source of any other copper salts by simply adding the mix to a suitable acid.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top