Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: copper conductive paint
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 12:53
copper conductive paint

decided to put this question on the board because amazon uk only sells silver conductive paint, and it is hard to find the copper conductive paint in Ireland.

So as usual I thought I could make it myself....? I have copper shavings which I collect from hours of filing, never throw anything away, actually it is more like copper powder granules. I have acetone and nail varnish to coat the non-conductive surface. Could I mix the two? that was my idea.

If anyone has a brainwave on this that would be nice. I know theoretically that I would need to coat the surface so that upon drying the paste would NOT expand, otherwise that would drive the copper dust particles apart. I know also that the paste would have to withstand a copper sulphate solution and not break apart. I realize that the copper from the anode only has to adhere to the copper inside the coating so theoretically the paste must not act as an electrical resistor and also I suppose needs to be permeable?, and since there are chemists amongst you I am wondering if you could point me and I would experiment. Thankyou.

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 18:18

Ascorbic acid can be used to form a very fine copper powder. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2654
chemoleo had success with boiling a solution of 10g CuSO4 and 5g of Vit C (ascorbic acid). The powder is reportedly very fine and may cling to objects, despite this you may need to mix it up to form a paste. Depending on the application you might be able to get away with wheat paste or thinned regular glue.

Go To Top