Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tricky Extraction
StonedTadpole
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 19-6-2012 at 21:56
Tricky Extraction

I've decided I like to mess around with the morphinan molecule, see what i can do. As I don't like breaking the law I tend to keep things like this in a grey area. My plan is to start with Pholcodine which is readily available to me OTC and stick to modifications that don't produce any scheduled drugs.

Problem is i can't find a way to get the Pholcodine out. The mixture contains Pholcodine, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate, Saccharin sodium and Sorbitol.

I had read that placing in the freezer allowed you to decant the thickener, then acetone would precipitate Pholcodine. Well that didn't work! Entire thing froze! Furthermore everything I read says Pholcodine is soluble in Acetone.

So far I know Pholcodine is soluble in: Acetone and Ethanol. Sparingly soluble in water, However I can't just hit it with small amounts of water. I was thinking of drying then hitting the residue with a small amount of water but I imagine it will just thicken up again!

Does anyone know any resources I can use to figure out solubilities in other solvents, say DCM etc? Any help is also much appreciated. If i can't get this to work then the morphinan molecule is off the list as codeine is considered "pharmacy only" and extraction is equiv to possession of Schedule 3...not something im interest in!

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
20-6-2012 at 11:05

Go To Top