Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diferentiating between carbonates and basic carbonates
Fossil
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 08:49
Diferentiating between carbonates and basic carbonates

I know that there are two different plumbous carbonates, lead II carbonate and basic lead II carbonate. My problem is: how would I differentiate between the two and know which one I have? I have the same problem with cupric carbonate. If there is no easy test, how would I prepare the carbonate without the basic carbonate? I have read that cooling the solution of lead acetate before the introduction of CO2 works, but the source did not specify what temperature it must be cooled to and I am unsure if it is effective in suppressing the formation of the basic carbonate.

Any help is appreciated!
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 09:30

If you have a good balance gravimetric analysis should be an easy one. Upon heating copper carbonate decomposes to yield copper(II)oxide. Some stoichiometry and that's it. Same could be done with lead as it should decompose utimately to lead(II)oxide.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 09:54

I'm assuming that the basic carbonates will not decompose to their respective oxides, or will it not affect the reaction and will still decompose to the oxide. I would like to know a sure fire way to differentiate the two still, as determining the density first means finding the volume and I am simply not down to go through the trouble.
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 10:03

When torched in a red hot curcible heavy metal hydroxides are usually destined to become corresponding oxides. Density is of little or no use as the packing of such solids is far from ideal. The gravimetric difference comes from the mass of the oxide residue as basic carbonates and carbonates have different molar masses.

Dissolving and precipitation of metals as insoluble compounds is also an option. Titration might also give good results.

[Edited on 2-7-2012 by kavu]
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 11:10

Thanks again, and it seems that I misunderstood what you meant by gravimetric analysis. Still, is there a way to ensure the formation of only the carbonate and not the basic carbonate.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 08:16

To distinguish between CuCO3.Cu(OH)2 (or 2CuCO3.Cu(OH)2) and CuCO3, perhaps a mild heating test will work. As long the temperature is above 185 C and well below 290 C, it is known that pure Cu(OH)2 decomposes in part to CuO (black), while the blue-green CuCO3 should not breakdown.

Also, in addition to the color change, heating the dry CuCO3.Cu(OH)2 salt may produce water vapor that can be condensed on a cooled area of the flash.

However, all of the above may be a relative differentiation as per the "Concise Encyclopedia Chemistry" by De Gruyter, to quote: "Copper (II) carbonate has not been obtained in pure form".

Go To Top