Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chelates? Binding with Iron2, acids only
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 07:09
Chelates? Binding with Iron2, acids only

I have been reading about Chelates, amongst the many acids mentioned I am interested in only three for the photographic purpose at this moment: Acetic, Oxalic and Citric. Citric was mentioned as an excellent chelate because it binds with the Iron2 after the light has broken down the Iron3 to Iron two in the Potassium Ferricyanide and Ammonium Iron3 citrate process. What I am having difficulty finding information about is what, (at a not too complex level please) is going on between citric acid and Iron, from amongst the complexity that is above my head I have gleaned that the citric acid prevents a precipitation? or degradation? of the Iron2; and also, please could someone confirm if Acetic acid also acts as a chelate? I only have found Oxalic and Citric.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 18:15

I'm pretty sure acetate ions cannot chelate due to the angle constraint. I'm currently in Inorganic Chem and I have only ever seen it behave as a monodentate ligand.

Malonic acid is another chelating ligand, plus if you can get ethylenediamine, that works too.

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top