Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Whats the most dangerous chemical you've ever synthesized?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2018 at 23:44

that video just reminded me of the largest batch of NI3 that I made in my youth ..
my father gave me an area in his garage/workshop for my schoolboy experiments,
I once made a pile of NI3 about 1" diameter and 1/2" high (pre-metrication) and left it to dry on a brick on my bench space with a BIG warning sign something like
DANGER
EXPLOSIVE
DO NOT TOUCH

Apparently this was too tempting for my father :D
According to him, he touched the pile with an outstretched arm and a very long screwdriver
- ringing in the ears for hours, a shattered brick and a bent screwdriver.
I may have made a little too much ?
----------------------------
At around the same time;
My schoolmate partner in chemistry crimes used to like flicking little bits of NI3 off the filter paper when almost dry, out of his bedroom window, to explode when hitting the ground.
(I preferred using it to fill air rifle pellets, or making minefields for insects)
I went round to his house because he was not at school for a few days,
but he did not want to see me :(
later he explained ...
whilst leaning over the filter paper the whole lot exploded,
leaving him with an iodine-stained face
... except for the shadow of his (small round John Lennon style) spectacles :D
For some reason he thought it better to stay home than come to school :D:D

[Edited on 17-7-2018 by Sulaiman]
Doped-Al2O3-fusion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Maniacal

[*] posted on 21-7-2018 at 16:21

TATP (Acetone Peroxide)

I accidentally created this compound recently while attempting to further oxidize some iron oxide. However, I was soaking the iron oxide in a flask with acetone to draw the water out and dry the product quicker. I added 35% H2O2 to the solution and didn't think about the organic solvent in solution. A short while later, I had white crystals grow off my drying pile of rust. I was able to float the crystals off the iron oxide with just water as the acetone peroxide crystals were rather insoluble. I uploaded a couple of videos showing how scary this stuff is, but I'll save you some time and only link the second video.

*As a side note, iron oxide is naturally slightly acidic. This is the probably cause as a catalyst in the formation of TATP & most likely a significant portion of DADP crystals after the H2O2 was added to the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WSAgKFjrk

[Edited on 22-7-2018 by Doped-Al2O3-fusion]
Culpable Cuprate
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 12:32

As far as synthesizing I'd have to say:
Peroxymonosulfuric acid
Conc. Nitric acid (RFNA)
Aqua regia
Nitrosyl chloride
Nitrosylsulfuric acid
Various heavy metal salts and complexes
Arsine (accidentally)

Dangerous things I plan to attempt to synthesize are:
Dinitroacetylene/copper acetylide (as possible precursors to cubane/octanitrocubane)
Octanitrocubane
Hydrazoic acid
Copper azide
CuNTZ (and various metal NTZ complexes)
Octaazacubane (I have a theory that Cu could stabilize the structure and allow for the isolation of it in an economical, environmentally friendly, and viable way)

As for dangerous compounds I've isolated, years ago I isolated about 100mg of crude alpha-amatoxin just for shits and giggles (scary deadly shit, more toxic than strychnine. Amatoxins have an LD50 less than 0.1mg/kg). I ended up getting paranoid about having it around, so I ended up incinerating my sample. Which I'm now kinda kicking myself ass for after learning that the current going rate of it is about $900 USD for 99.87% pure alpha-amatoxin (5mg):o:o

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 02:56

Quote: Originally posted by Culpable Cuprate  
Which I'm now kinda kicking myself ass for after learning that the current going rate of it is about $900 USD for 99.87% pure alpha-amatoxin (5mg):o:o

That doesn't mean that what you have is worth that, do you have the means to assay compounds needed to claim any purity? Even if you can you still need someone to sell it to

Culpable Cuprate
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 08:35

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Quote: Originally posted by Culpable Cuprate  
Which I'm now kinda kicking myself ass for after learning that the current going rate of it is about $900 USD for 99.87% pure alpha-amatoxin (5mg):o:o

That doesn't mean that what you have is worth that, do you have the means to assay compounds needed to claim any purity? Even if you can you still need someone to sell it to

I wasn't necessarily planning on selling it, but I do have access to the equipment necessary to provide accurate data on purity. Although, I have been mulling the idea of extracting more for the purposes of selling the more I look at the studies being done with amatoxins. The reason it's price is so high is due to supply/demand. There's a huge demand for the amatoxins (particularly cancer research as antibody-drug conjugates, showing single dose remission of prostate cancer and similar results for breast cancer) but extremely short supply, as the only source is wild mushrooms and the lethality of the compounds dissuade people from running extractions.

Hell, I'd farm Destroying Angels and Death Caps year round in mass if it meant someone would use em to cure cancer. The lucrative aspect of it is certainly a good motivator too of course hahaha:D
Hendrik
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 09:02

Definitely the worst thing I've ever synthesized was hydrogen cyanide (via a process in which a ferrocyanide was heated and acidified with phosphoric acid). The quantities were low enough and the fume hood I worked under was very powerful, so I guess I was safe.
BakingBrownies
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-11-2018 at 12:16

potassium cyanide

but also white phosphorus... not sure if I synthesized the white phosphorous I just took it out of another compound.

[Edited on 14-11-2018 by BakingBrownies]
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by BakingBrownies  

but also white phosphorus... not sure if I synthesized the white phosphorous I just took it out of another compound.

I distilled red P, to form WP, did not seem that dangerous, stool was not smoking after. Jaw still strong.

Most dangerous thing I have done was not synthesis, but identification. I posted that on SM, I found these nice looking, dense "glass" things, did the density measurements and determined melting point, sadly - without much protection (no respirator, no gloves at all the times I handled it) - turned out to be Thallium Bromoiodide (KRS-5) Optical Crystals. Definitely got some in my system. Very good lesson for me.

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2021 at 08:46

i can add tetramethylammonium nitrate to my list. not super dangerous but it is quite flammable and an absorption toxicity hazard. synthed from tetramethylammonium chloride and silver nitrate. sick stomach and brown skin are the worst of this one. i was trying to get a working version of Clive Jennigs-White's blue strobe star.

the clean up is a pain. all the tma compounds i've messed with are stupid hygroscopic and i think trace amounts of unreacted silver nitrate screwed with the burn result. otoh, if you don't go far enough with the nitrate, the resulting tman will be deliquescent.
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-5-2021 at 11:42

A long time ago, when interested in pyrotechnics, I made silver acetylide. This gray solid is extremely flame sensitive, instantly exploding with a sharp "crack" when exposed to flame in milligram amounts. It didn't seem to be sensitive to pressure, so after drying a few grams of it I ground it in a mortar and filled a little bottle with it, to show off proudly. But I noticed, while brushing out the last bit of dust from the mortar, that it made some small cracking sounds, apparently from the static electricity generated. I realized that I had probably come close to losing a hand and deactivated my sample by wetting it before disposal.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top