PainKilla
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 14:04
Hydroxylamine Production

I am wodnering how to make this useful compound... here is a few ideas:

NaOCl + NH4OH --> NH2Cl + NaOH + H2O

NaOH + NH2Cl --> NaCl + NH2OH

This is interesting ebcause when I have done this I have gotten yellow water that smelled like ammonia sort of, (really strong I got a bad burn smelling this.) The only problem is some NCl3 may be formed which is not the best thing to work with. This is unlikely due to basic solution though....

Imprtant to note:

NH2Cl+ NaOCl- ---> NHCl2 + NaOH
NHCl2+ NaOCl- --->NCl3 + NaOH

A good way to NaOH, if you dont die harvesting it :D.

[Edited on 30-1-2005 by PainKilla]

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 15:04

It sounds to me like you made some hydrazine.
PainKilla
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 15:06

I would be dead by the amount of inhaled. I was at work. (i work at this shithole im only 15) It was the end of the day and i was bored and mixed like 300ml of each together in a bucket and inhaled some and was knocked on my ass literally, then almost balcked out and couldnt smell anything for a while. It sucked.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 15:14
Make some effort!

Look Painkilla, at least do some background checks before you post on what you want to do and shouldn't do.

The reaction of NaOCl with NH3 is wellknown, it produces hydrazine at the best of conditions, at worst just nitrogen gas. Check the hydrazine thread.

What you describe does not happen (the production of NH2OH).

NCl3 is produced by direct chlorination of NH3, analogous to nitrogen triiodide, and with NaOCl it usually reacts on before it forms NCl3.

There are various ways of making hydroxylamines, it can be done by reduction of nitrogen oxides, i.e. electrolytic reduction of nitric acid. There are others too.
Or with KNO2 and KHSO3.

Anyway, the point is, make an effort, comon!
I am getting quite annoyed with all these funny threads and posts of late! This is not some shit forum where you can stumble in, post random ideas, and think it makes you look scientific.

[Edited on 30-1-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
PainKilla
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 15:20

I didnt say the second reaction did happen, it can though. Also, redcution of ntirogen oxides is to say the least not very, how do I saw, o yea, safe.

Making an effort? What sort of effort am I supposed to be making. I don't have access to every chemical in the world and this seems to be a viable way of making NH2OH. Whether it actually works, I don't know, hence the reason for me posting it. I have done the reaction numerous times for fun and have never gotten what looked like hydrazine. The yellow color I got already is a bit questioanble.

Nevermind I found it... a bit complicated though.

EDIT: Spelling.

Is not posting random ideas and testing them out what amd science is about? Especially if they are possibly viable? O yea and i ahrdly call myself "scientific" I know I suck at chemsitry, for now anyway, I read and stuff as much as I can but I dont have a college, hell even a good high school ecuation yet so all I know is from books. I have yet to finish first year chem, though I have read a few textbooks.

[Edited on 30-1-2005 by PainKilla]

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 15:40

Painkilla LISTEN:
No crap posts, particularly new threads, means you CHECK ideas (particularly the outlandish ones), in books, libraries, whatever, before you clutter the forum with it.
Also, don't tell people what to be careful about if you don't understand the reaction.
This tends to antagonise people.

As to hydrazine- READ those threads before you judge. It isn't made this easily.

At last, regarding the production of hydroxylamine, it's even been posted before.
This is precisely the effort you are supposed to make.

[Edited on 31-1-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)

Go To Top