Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to alloy Gold with Titanium ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 10:17
How to alloy Gold with Titanium ?

For making a Au-Ti alloy I want to know how to dissolve Ti metal in gold. I know that Ti wire is used as a wire to help with gold alloy soldering, due to the fact that Ti does not dissolve in the aurous alloys, so just putting Ti snippets in liquid gold does not work (I didn't try it yet). But I know Au-Ti alloys do exist.

Are there goldsmiths on this forum ?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 10:26

You may have to heat it up more. Things almost always become more soluble as you heat them.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
metalresearcher
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 11:18

That is what I am already afraid for.
'Afraid' because at temps above 1500C the Ti will burn as it floats on Au. The only option is keeping it immersed or having a strong reducing atmosphere.
Note it is about small quantites as I cannot afford a 100ml crucible filled with gold.
I want to make 10 grams of gold with 1%Ti.
I think about making a pre-alloy of Au with 10%Ti with 1 gram of gold together with 0.1 gram of Ti which I'll dilute with another 9g of gold.
Putting the one gram in a tiny graphite 5cc crucible in a 1500C gas fired furnace where the metals are covered with a layer of powdered charcoal and a layer with quartz sand over it to protect the Ti from air. Will this work or will the SiO2 or C react with the Ti ?

EDIT: I can do a test with Ti and copper.

[Edited on 2014-10-6 by metalresearcher]
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 11:37

There's this tidbit on a manufacturing process if you click on "Look Inside" off to the right.
"A flash of light, the reason for which is not understood, accompanies the dissolution process." (page 114)
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF03214709
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 12:40

Titanium is known as the "nymphomaniac of metals": Get it hot enough and it will combine with ANYTHING!

Methods that work with other metals may give you surprising results- I suspect you will want inert gas blanket/vacuum techniques.?

May we know what use requires this alloy? You might even avoid the need to alloy the substances by doing vacuum deposition of the elements if it's a coating rather than a solid object that's wanted.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 16:22

If cost is no object to overcome the technical hurdles any combination
of matter can be created. Even metals which are not mutually miscible.
Zero gravity is necessary to prevent phase formation. Fast quenching
to produce metallic glass results in a stable solid. No need to fly stuff
into orbit , flying an aircraft holding the crucible in a parabolic trajectory
should provide enough free fall time to execute a moderate size batch.

http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=aircraft+parabolic+traje...

metalresearcher
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 01:48

Well there should be a 99% gold alloy with 1%Ti for nearly pure gold jewelry but with decent hardness and mechanical properties.
EDIT: I saw them in the 'Springer' links posted earlier in this topic, so I downloaded the PDFs to my ereader to read them later.

[Edited on 2014-10-7 by metalresearcher]
metalresearcher
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 08:30

I have read the pdf's in the Springer link earlier in this topic. It is at least as hard as traditional 18ct gold, but it can only be alloyed and molten (and cast) under vacuum as otherwise the Ti burns away. So I resign as I don't have a vacuum furnace ....
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 12:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Yep. I too am wondering what precipitated this AuTi madness. What possible purpose? What inspired the curiosity?

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_gold
In the 2008 film Iron Man (2008 film), the title character wears an armor made from a titanium-gold alloy.[4][5] According to actor Robert Downey Jr., who played the role of Iron Man, the suit fit him "like a gold-titanium glove".[6]
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 07:18
990 gold-titanium alloy attached pdfs

The development of 990 gold — titanium: Its production, use and properties (duplicate paper of above) http://link.springer.com/journal/13404/22/4/page/1,

and
Stable strengthening of 990-gold http://link.springer.com/journal/13404/29/3/page/1

Attachment: phpS1XhDQ (7MB)
This file has been downloaded 579 times

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

Attachment: phpVzO9rg (2.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 423 times

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by quantumcorespacealchemyst  
The development of 990 gold — titanium: Its production, use and properties (duplicate paper of above) http://link.springer.com/journal/13404/22/4/page/1,

and
Stable strengthening of 990-gold http://link.springer.com/journal/13404/29/3/page/1

Attachment: phpS1XhDQ (7MB)
This file has been downloaded 4 times

Attachment: phpVzO9rg (2.4MB)

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

Is it just me, or is every link you just posted broken?

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 14:20

Go To Top