Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pool sanitizing (cyanurates and hypohalites) ?
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 11:42
Pool sanitizing (cyanurates and hypohalites) ?

I got a few questions about the chemistry behind pool chlorination/bromination.

The traditional sanitizing agent has been hypochlorous acid in some form (calcium, sodium, or Cl2 + H2O). It has excellent oxidizing and sanitizing properties but is unstable. Cyanuric acid/cyanurates are in use nowdays to overcome this. How does HOCl react with cyanuric acid? Does it convert it to the commonly used isocyanuric chlorides ("stabilized chlorine";)? If so, how do these compounds oxidize/sanitize the water? Do they revert to hypochlorous acid somehow or do they react in their own way to do their job?

Also, I read that bromide can be oxidized to hypobromite with e.g. persulfate, but chlorides cannot. Is this true?

[Edited on 5-7-2005 by stygian]
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 16:29

Cyanuric chloride reverts to cyanuric acid and hypochlorous acid in water. I'm not sure if you can turn it back when water is present however, they may just stay seperate or in an equilibrium.
Industrially cyanuric chloride is made by cyranuric acid + sodium hydroxide + chlorine gas.

I think with the cyanuric acid stabilizis the HClO after it has been released by hydrolisis.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top