Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Merck 13.1
Natures Natrium
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 20:15
The Merck 13.1

I am feeling a little bit frustrated by this latest iteration of the Merck Index. I have been using 12.2 for a long time, and decided it was time to upgrade to something a little more recent.

I was suprised to find however that the interface had been changed significantly, i.e. from a stand alone GUI to using the ChemFinder interface. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 12.2 interface was exceptional, but at least it was functional. I am finding it quite difficult to adapt to the lack of a direct alphabetical listing.

However, my biggest problem is one which probably has an embarrasingly simple solution. Nevertheless, I cannot find the answer to my little dilemma no matter what I try.

I have been using the ChemDraw Net to try and draw a structure to search with. However, to my suprise, the only element available for drawing appears to be carbon, and even then it doesn't seem possible to draw single carbon atoms. Is seems ludicris that I can pull up all sorts of premade structures like aromatic rings and amino acids, but I can't draw a single carbon atom?

If someone would be so kind as to point out the obvious to me, I would really appreciate it. :(

Thanks,
Nature's Natrium

EDIT: Ok, I can draw a single carbon atom now, but where the hell are the other elements?:mad:

EDIT2 : Wow, ok, I figured it out, and I must state my opinion here, which I don't intend to be either humble nor subtle. The software engineers at Cambridge F'ing suck! :mad: I thought the Merck 12.2 had a clunky interface, this is even worse. Not to mention the fact that except for writing a paper the entire ChemOffice 2k5 suite is worthless crap. Virtually everything it does can be done with Excel, Word, and Paint. And of course, the Merck, 12.2. I cannot believe the kind of prices they charge for this junk "templating" software. I was expecting a vast database of information with a simple, intuitive, easy to use GUI as well as deeper options for those who needed them. I am severly disappointed. :(

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by Natures Natrium]

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by Natures Natrium]

\"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.\" - Mark Twain (1835-1910)
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 21:02

If you'll have a look at the drawing toolbar that ChemDraw has (it ought to be there; you're in trouble if it ain't), there's a button with an upper case A there. That's the "Text" button. Click on it, click on the appropriate part of your drawing (e.g. a bond junction), and type in the appropriate symbol. (you do remember the symbol(s) of the chemical elements, 'no? ;)) Voila!

sparky (~_~)

P.S.

"...someone would be so kind as to point out the obvious to me..."

Sure. Press F1! :P

P.P.S Well, as I always say, it's not always a good idea to upgrade. Remember, "more features" == "possibly more incompatibilities" == "more pains in the arse". :D I feel for ya, NN. I liked ChemOffice version 5 more.

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Natures Natrium
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 21:12

Sorry, I edited my post right after you replied to it. I appreciate the help, nevertheless.

I am just tired and frusterated from a long day, although my dissappoint with chemoffice still stands. I don't know, maybe I was just expecting way too much out of it.

Anyways, thanks again for the reply. :)

\"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.\" - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Go To Top