Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Radical Cyclization reaction
thegameguy5
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 14:53
Radical Cyclization reaction

Hi Guys
I am trying an intramolecular radical cyclization reaction using AIBN/TBTH in Tol or PhH for a while but in vain.

Does anyone have any correct procedure or hand on experience to share with me?
Thanks
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 12:31

There is an enormous amount of publications on the topic - I have various references as well, but you'll have to be more specific, what exactly are you trying to do?

thegameguy5
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 22:51

I am making an exo-methylene cyclohexane derivative.

It's sugar chemistry. I have a xanthate and I want to generate a radical at C-5 (of tetrabenzyl protected glycose deriative) which will undergo a radical deoxygenation cyclization reaction on an acetylene moiety. I have tried AIBN, Et3B / TBTH in PhH or Tol but so far I have not been successful. I have degassed my solvent with N2 without any improvement so now I am going to degass it with Ar.
Have you had any trouble working with radicals?
Thanks

Attachment: 1.cdx (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 806 times

Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 01:25

Here is a paper where functional groups of your interest react to give the alkene. They do the cyclization in toluene at 85C with HBu3Sn/AIBN, after 12 h there is 76 % yield.

http://rapidshare.de/files/4853622/radical.pdf.html

Stereodivergent synthesis of 5a-carba-hexopyranoses from carbohydrates via 6-exo-dig radical cyclization: preparation of 5a-carba-@b-d-manno-, @a-d-allo-, @b-l-talo- and @a-l-gulopyranose pentaacetates from d-mannose

Gomez, Ana M.; Moreno, Eduardo; Danelon, Gerardo O.; Valverde, Serafin; Lopez, J. Cristobal; Tetrahedron: Asymmetry; 14; 19; 2003; 2961 - 2974.

Abstract: Four carbasugars, 5a-carba-@b-d-manno-, @a-d-allo-, @b-l-talo- and @a-l-gulopyranose pentaacetates, have been prepared in a stereodivergent manner from d-mannose. Alkynyl derivatives of 2,3:4,6-di-O-isopropylidene-d-mannopyranose, which are prepared by homologation at C-1, by reaction with phenyl acetylide, undergo a 6-exo-dig radical cyclization, from a radical located at C-5, to yield a mixture of highly functionalized cyclohexanes. Some of these compounds, after transformation of their exocyclic double bond in a hydroxy function, were correlated with polyhydroxylated cyclohexanes, which were then selectively deoxygenated either at position C-4 or C-5a (carbohydrate numbering) to afford carbasugars of the d- or l- series.

And references in there...

Go To Top