Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Peptides
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2005 at 06:47
Copper Peptides

What would be the best way to synthesise copper peptides?

I read somehwhere thr procedure goes something like this;

A solution of any common copper salt, such as copper chloride or copper sulfate, is dissolved in water. The copper solution is then mixed with at least equimolar peptides and the pH slowly raised by the addition of a base such as sodium hydroxide. As the pH is raised above 5, the formation of copper complexes is virtually instantaneous. If copper salts existed, the copper (II) would immediately form a white precipitate of copper hydroxide.

Now they also go on to futher state that the use of soy peptides is good...

My question is, how would one go about isolating these peptides?
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 16-9-2005 at 08:52

Quote:
If copper salts existed, the copper (II) would immediately form a white precipitate of copper hydroxide.

What's this about, the copper hydroxide? It's green/turquoise for starters. What do you mean, if it existed?

Regarding the formation of the complex- I suggest to use the soy seeds/flower which is hopefully protein rich (I'd rather use eggwhite or something), crush it up in a blender and cook it with HCl (reflux) for i.e. 2 hours. First you will get a lot of free amino acids, and smaller hydrolysed peptides, which are then able to be complexed by the copper ions.

Or are you after this to bring previously insoluble peptides into solution (whereby solubility depends on the sequence and pH, and is very hard to predict) while purifying away any other insoluble material?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-9-2005 at 17:37

Quote:
Quote:
If copper salts existed, the copper (II) would immediately form a white precipitate of copper hydroxide.

What's this about, the copper hydroxide? It's green/turquoise for starters. What do you mean, if it existed?

As I said, i just directly quoted someone that had been working in the field for many years and yes copper hydroxide is a blue-grrenish precipitate...

I wonder if soy protein isolate or concentrate powder would be a source of hydrolysed peptides after a HCl reflux?

P.S.
I found an interesting article on soy peptides here...

http://www.feedware.com/aqua/magazine/v1i3/liaoV1I32004.pdf#...

It appears that soy peptides are made commercially via fermentation of de-fatted soy grits with lactobacillus...

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by Ramiel]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 19-9-2005 at 17:20

So what is stopping you then?

Lactobacillus is what is in fresh yoghurts, it even tells you the reaction conditions for the bacterial digestion.

Then... acidify, filter, and react this with CuSO4; this should yield your complex.

Quote:
I wonder if soy protein isolate or concentrate powder would be a source of hydrolysed peptides after a HCl reflux?

Please tell me, what is it you are after? I don't quite understand.
Complexed peptides, or single amino acids, or what?

But yes, depending on the length of HCL reflux, you will either end up with a mixutre of peptides and amino acids or amino acids alone.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2005 at 20:25

Definately complexed peptides rather than amino acids, no specific peptide is outlines just that the peptides formed from soy are ideal for use... I will attempt to form some peptide complex from soy protein isolate with a HCl reflux...

What do you think would be the ideal conditions for peptide formation over amino acid isolation?

Surely there has to be a better source of Lactobacillus cultures then yoghurt also? I looked around and couldn't find a supplier for these culture bulk...

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by 600538411]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 20-9-2005 at 02:22

Have a look at biological supply stores like this one. Froogle should also help.

Go To Top