Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone have experience with Mastech power supplies?
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 17:48
Anyone have experience with Mastech power supplies?

I'm contemplating getting one of these Mastech 20 amp power supplies:

http://www.radios4you.com/mastech-hy3020E.html

It looks to me like it would be a good general purpose supply for small scale electrolysis, electroplating, etc.

I'm wondering, does anyone have one of these or know anything about their performance?

Regards,
Joe
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 19:02

I have the 2020E and so far it works fine. Only used a few times though for anodizing some small parts. Holds settings well.
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 19:20

Thanks for the info, Ordenblitz. I didn't see that model (20 volts max output, I assume). Maybe they don't make it anymore?

Regards,
Joe
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 17:31

Depends on what you are using it for. I have a Mastech HY3005D power supply which I have had for about 1 1/2 years. I thought the constant current operation would be useful for electrochemistry, but the constant current is maintained by several relays (vs. continuous operation) and these relays chatter constantly when I (for example) try to electrolyze molten sodium hydroxide. When I use the power supply for electronic circuits, I find it produces a lot more hum than similar power supplies. Also, the built-in voltage and current monitoring becomes useless if you have the slightest amount of RF energy nearby (such as when operating a transmitter). Both the voltage and current meters are illuminated with a green light of some type. I noticed recently that the green light for the voltage meter has gone out. And I probably have used the power supply less than 100 hours.

Maybe I got a lemon, or maybe the power supply is just not useful for the types of things I'm trying to do.
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 18:11

Thanks for that information, Hodges.

For various reasons, I'm now having some second thoughts about buying one; the lack of robustness you imply being one of them.

In any case, it's hard to believe that anyone would use electromechanical relays anywhere in a modern power supply, especially in a voltage or current control loop.

Is the HY3005D a linear or switchmode type supply?

I know from experience that some switching supplies can "motorboat" (I think that's the term) under certain load conditions, particularly under light loading, where the duty cycle cannot go low enough and switching becomes discontinuous; i.e., it starts skipping cycles, sometimes causing an audible tone.
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2005 at 14:58

I'm not positive, but because of its heavy weight I doubt it is switchmode. The relays apparently select among voltage "ranges". If the voltage stays within a given range, the relays do not operate except once initially. But if you set a constant current and the conduction is varying (such as in a non-aqueus electrolysis) the each large voltage variation causes the relay to chatter.

Go To Top