Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkalization
bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2006 at 20:24
Alkalization

I've been reading a few technical reports on hydrogenation chemistry in industry, and some refer to the term of alkalization. I have the general idea that an alkali metal is added to the mixture, but I'm not quite sure if the alkali metal is in its metallic form or its oxidized form. Any references would be much appreciatiated.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 08:41
alkalization

I do know that an alkali metal added to an alcohol will do the opposite of what you were studying.

Addition of alkali metals to alchols deprotanates the alchol forming the alkoxide. (very strong base used mostly in Organic Chem).
bereal511
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 13:37

Well, I suppose I should be more clear on what the mixture is. It's a solid powder mixture of molybdenum disulfide used as a catalyst to hydrogenate carboneous gases, which was then alkalized to promote its activity.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:09

Go To Top