Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying DMSO with sodium
turd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 11:28
Drying DMSO with sodium

Don't do it.

Actually don't dry any oxidiser with a reducer or vice-versa. But never, never, NEVER try to dry DMSO with molten sodium.

I just was really close to blowing myself up doing this. When I had finished preparing an ice bath there were already sparks in the mix!! :o
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 11:40

Same with DMF and sodium, the reaction is even more violent and nasty, and generates carbon monoxide.
I made a thread about this a while back. Glad that I only used about 5ml DMF.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 16:09

What would even make you think to do such a thing? I mean, yeah... sodium is used to dry a lot of things, but the reaction of sodium with DMSO readily forms the dimsyl anion (although sodium hydride is preferred) and most firmilar with DMSO are knowledgeable of this reaction. Supposedly there is no noticeble reaction with lithium though, at least at room temperature.

What exactly happened? DMSO can be dried over sodium or potassium hydroxide given enough time.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:14

Quote:
What would even make you think to do such a thing?

Something like this: CaH is a recommended drying agent, and Na is considered to be of about the same potency, so it should be ok. Somewhere else I read that they distilled DMSO from sodium, so 70-80°C should be ok and if that is ok, one can heat it just a bit more, to avoid cutting the sodium and to look at those funny metal bubbles. Ok, ok, I admit it, it was the funny bubbles that made me do it. :P
Quote:
What exactly happened?

At first not much, the solution became yellow, which is not out of the norm when drying with sodium. But when the sodium started melting, the solution suddenly became very dark and started emitting white fumes. I thought darn it and removed the heat, but it would not calm down, so I prepared an ice bath and when I came back, there were sparks and nasty brown fumes. The ice-bath helped and the solid residue with finely dispersed sodium was killed with n-PrOH. So maybe I wasn't close to blowing myself up, but seeing sparks in a sodium/solvent mix was pretty scary.

Go To Top