Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Density Functional Theory
labi
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2006 at 08:00
Density Functional Theory

dear members
can any one post the link or upload "A Chemist's Guide to Density Functional Theory" the link previously given in the forum is not working

thank you
karel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-8-2006 at 13:26
RE: DFT

I recommend to use forum ''Wanted: Books needed by members'' for such request...I checked it, and it is there:

http://rapidshare.de/files/21672713/ChemistGuideDFT.pdf.html
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 16-8-2006 at 14:33

It's getting boring with all these requests on wrong places. Obviously, since they do request books they are aware of the appropriate thread. So it's only to get more exposure in hope that their request is going to be sooner fullfilled. How about a temp ban, couple of days and delete of the post?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-8-2006 at 21:07

I agree. There is an invasion of these Indian guys that register for the sole purpose of getting books for free and they don't give a fuck about the basic rules of good behaviour. For example, this particular member, Labi posted only a couple of requests, all in a separate thread and he was already told not to do so. But there are many others that do the same.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is bothered by such an ingrateful attitude.:mad:

Perhaps the books thread should be made invisible for non members and not indexable by the search engines? If something is not done the forum might get in troubles if one of the publishers comes to pressure with copyright laws.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 17-8-2006 at 07:23

Nicodem, that is a fine idea. Who knew that Whimsy would one day serve a practical purpose? I'll put an announcement in forum matters and make the change after people have had a day to read it.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 03:21

why not make one new book/references forum and set password as in wimsy or make it invisible as nicodem say, these threads are so big anyways...
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 07:21

I agree it seems that the forum has become a watering hole for those looking for books......I don't mind assisting , but it's becoming and an n.th thread of requests.....and I get tired of telling the posters they've posted in the wrong place.

As I don't blame "Indians" because they may be aliases hence it's not fair to single out a race because of the handle they choose to use, lets not forget ayush whose contribution has been enormous to this forum................solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 13:11

I think that book threads should be fully closed to those that have made less than say 20 posts or something.
labi
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 08:53
"There is an invasion of these Indian guys that register for the sole purpose of getting books for free "

well i agree that i dint contribute any to this forum and i have made it clear what i can contribute as well and that i am a new member. when you feel as a moderator that i ve made a wrong post or if you feel that indians are not allowed in to the forum you might have made it clear in the registration process. and please do not abuse a race for a mistake by some one like me- it really hurts.
please any one tell me a method to deleate any post made by me
labi
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 08:55
thank you very much karel

thank you very much karel
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 09:36

Well, excuse me if I somehow offended you. But how did you extrapolated from my comment that I have anything against Indians in general is beyond my imagination. I only said that there were many people from India that registered for the sole purpose of using this forum to get books for free and have no respect for the basic rules of the forum. Was I wrong? Check yourself if you think I'm wrong.
I do agree with Solo though. I should have added that these members might not be from India at all, but just wrote India as their country and use Indian nicknames while they might be from anywhere else. However, I somehow didn’t find that possibility so relevant to the problem. Perhaps I should have also added that Ayush contributed immensely to the forum, but he is not part of this problem, so should I mention him just because he is from India? Now, that would make it look like a racial thing wouldn’t it?
Anyway, I'm sorry to disappoint you, I don't have anything against Indians in general. On the contrary, I admire their culture very much. But I will have something against you if you want to twist my comment by making it look racist (besides you don't even know what race I am!).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 15:18

I apologize if I inferred anything racist about the comment , namely I'm very protective of individual rights and their race. As minority (Mexican) for many years living in the US, I have nothing but painful memories of the feelings of being brow beaten............again Nicodem i apologize if I offended you in anyway as that was not my intention ........peace my friend ........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 17:10

Limiting the book threads to contributing members by hiding them will solve the problem of disrespect for forum customs :P Scientifically speaking, there's only one race; the human race :D

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-8-2006 at 23:54

Solo, I was not influenced by your reply. I actually found it appropriate. What I was pissed at was the attitude of Labi for using your reply in order to twist my post to make himself look “innocent” and pretend being offended. I don’t like that kind of infantile behavior. Anybody can check the chronology of his posts (the ones that were not edited and deleted as he would like) to see that he opened this thread 3 days after he was explained by you not to do so anymore and he even apologized and confirmed he understood. So it is more than obvious he did this on purpose to get more attention and it is exactly this kind of disrespect for the forum culture that I find ungrateful. But that would be no big deal in my opinion, if he could only behave like an adult, accept the critique and stop it, instead of pretending offended and trying to twist the whole thing as some nationalistic thing against those who write India as their country or use Hindu nicknames.

labi
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 00:10
hi Nicodem

hi Nicodem i deffinitely dint intend to turn any thing in to any thing or trying to pretend that i am innocent. coming to the posts i ve made i ve made only two requests one for merck index and other is for DFT and the other post is welcoming the reference requests. further you were telling about the free books (links) here you as well know the other locations on web to get them if it is the matter of concern.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 00:24

So I hope all is finally settled.
Since Polverone moved the books thread as well as the books request thread you might ask him for Whimsy subforum access if you will request more books. I support the idea that the book thread had to move since it became huge bait for many forum guests as indicated by the enormous number of views. This would attract unwanted attention to the forum, so I hope you understand why this had to be done.

I'm a bit late, but welcome to the forum.

Edit: Just read the new plan and the books moved to a separate subforum (not Whimsy):
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6462

[Edited on 20-8-2006 by Nicodem]

Go To Top