Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fluorination Reactor MOC
makfc
Harmless

Mood: Ha....ha....ha.....!!

shocked.gif posted on 26-8-2006 at 20:42
Fluorination Reactor MOC

I'm going to make m-bifluorobenzene on plant scale using key raw-materials as HBF4 (fluoboric acid), NaNO2 & HCl.

Can anyone pls suggest me which type of MOC I should use for the reactor for this reaction ? Generally chlorination/bromination are being done in glasslined reactors (GLRs), but here I think the glass may not suffer fluorine.....

Pls suggest......:(

;)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 26-8-2006 at 21:58

Iron, copper, lead? I seem to recall they are resistant. I think quartz too, to a point- but it has to be dry (probably not going to happen, given the hydrogen present in your reactions).

What I'd really like to know is, how did you arrive here?

We've been getting an awful lot of chemical engineering questions here. This isn't an industrial engineering forum, and most of all, it's on the internet, a resource at best highly suspect!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 02:17

There is no fluorine in your reaction. The Schiemann reaction you are trying to do on m-phenylenediamine produces only BF3 as a byproduct, no fluorine.

You should look for resistance against BF3 with your reactor, not fluorine, as no fluorine is occuring in the reaction!

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
makfc
Harmless

Mood: Ha....ha....ha.....!!

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 20:06

You may be right. But I'm not sure for this using the fluoboric acid..... Will it not be harmful to the glass surface ? Because the cousin brother (:P) HF (Hydrofluoric acid) is an envy to the glass surface !

By the way, sorry to TIM..... I will keep in mind your suggetion to ask such questions. FYI, I'm also a chemist & doing my own research on plant scale.

:cool:
garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 27-8-2006 at 21:41

Fluoboric acid does not etch glass. Brauer says it can be stored in glass bottles.
But high temperatures and BF3 might be a different story.
You need to get reliable data about boron trifluoride resistance.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
cuprate
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 16:06

You do generate HF, especially in your plant scale, which will definitely eat your glass, soon or later.

And from your reagent, I guess you are doing this from diazonium salt. So you do need a reactor can hold some pressure even though in design, your reactor should easily get all those nitrogen gas out.

Maybe you can try a metal reactor with a thick Teflon coating inside?

Quote:
Originally posted by makfc
I'm going to make m-bifluorobenzene on plant scale using key raw-materials as HBF4 (fluoboric acid), NaNO2 & HCl.

Can anyone pls suggest me which type of MOC I should use for the reactor for this reaction ? Generally chlorination/bromination are being done in glasslined reactors (GLRs), but here I think the glass may not suffer fluorine.....

Pls suggest......:(

;)

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by cuprate]

Go To Top