Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: phenolphaline and potassium permanganate
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 14:17
phenolphaline and potassium permanganate

Are potassium permanganate and phenolphaline now restricted in the uk? I am looking for the link again but i found it a bit confusing, also is the license fee for the public really ~£1,300 for a license?

i will post the link as soon as I find it
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 14:22

I found one on potassium permanganate but got the license cost wrong...........£3,655! trying to find the other one that was on a different list.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/precursor-chemical-licensing
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 8-6-2016 at 20:07

Why would they try to restrict phenolphthalein? If it's being restricted in the UK, as OP questions, then it seems to me that they've run out of ideas of prevention of illicit drug synthesis. I can only hope that they're not restricting it for its use as a pH indicator; after doing some reading though, apparently it's used as a cutting agent, which still seems like a silly reason to restrict it. I hope OP wasn't right about that particular one, because seriously, this seems like a last-ditch effort. :(

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 01:28

Quote: Originally posted by CRUSTY  
Why would they try to restrict phenolphthalein? If it's being restricted in the UK, as OP questions, then it seems to me that they've run out of ideas of prevention of illicit drug synthesis. I can only hope that they're not restricting it for its use as a pH indicator; after doing some reading though, apparently it's used as a cutting agent, which still seems like a silly reason to restrict it. I hope OP wasn't right about that particular one, because seriously, this seems like a last-ditch effort. :(

I will go hunt it down again, it wasnt on the same list. I was trying to find out what i can legally own, but i didnt find the list with nitric acid on! i did find several other list with some things on i have never heard of. I think the document was called REACH or something like that.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 01:53

Ok still searching but this gets really confusing! i have no idea what annex XIV is or what it means but it lists a shed load of stuff it says is restricted, why cant they just put a simple PDF up with a list saying you need a license for these?
The list i thought phenophalin was on appears not to be, but i know i saw it so will keep looking. Anyone interested the annex thing with list of chemicals is here
http://echa.europa.eu/web/guest/addressing-chemicals-of-conc...
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 02:07

This isnt what i originally found but its a start, apparently its on a list for SVHCS??? Page 21 has it on, this is some kind of presentation but somewhere on the net i saw the complete list, anyway according to this its restricted or banned or likely to get you instantly vaporized for owning a test tube with intent to look at it!

I still havnt find the list with nitric acid though, and as for the license fee! seriously WTFF is that about???

https://www.iosh.co.uk/~/media/Documents/Networks/Branch/Sou...
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 02:27

None of these are restricted. The type of license you describe is for companies who want to sell these chemicals in large (industrial) quantities.

E.g. KMnO4 can be purchased at many places: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570....

There are some chemicals which really are forbidden, EU-wide, not because of drugs, but because of terrorism:
- HNO3 (> 3%)
- CH3NO2 (> 30%)
- H2O2 (> 12%)
- KClO3/NaClO3
- KClO4/NaClO4

Besides that, KNO3, NH4NO3 and NaNO3 are not really forbidden, but in practice they are made nearly unavailable (at least in NL). H2SO4 at concentrations larger than 37% also is made nearly unavailable, although it is not really forbidden.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 04:07

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
None of these are restricted. The type of license you describe is for companies who want to sell these chemicals in large (industrial) quantities.

E.g. KMnO4 can be purchased at many places: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570....

There are some chemicals which really are forbidden, EU-wide, not because of drugs, but because of terrorism:
- HNO3 (> 3%)
- CH3NO2 (> 30%)
- H2O2 (> 12%)
- KClO3/NaClO3
- KClO4/NaClO4

Besides that, KNO3, NH4NO3 and NaNO3 are not really forbidden, but in practice they are made nearly unavailable (at least in NL). H2SO4 at concentrations larger than 37% also is made nearly unavailable, although it is not really forbidden.

Thank you for clearing that up, i did search google but the more i searched the more confusion!

I have seen a UK wall chart for restricted drug precursors as well, this also talks about a license. However reading the chart i see nothing on it i would no what to do with or need to own anyway.

I found another reference to phenophalin saying it was a carcinogen, but it wasnt clear if i could own it. i wear gloves (marigolds normally :D) and dont drink it, so i guess i am pretty safe. I appreciate the clarification
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 05:57

Actually CH3NO2 and HNO3 are not forbidden yet, at least not EU-wide.
You can still order liters of 99,6% CH3NO2 in a few online shops (toy car racing) in Germany. Also HNO3 65% is still available with a restoration supplier, who sells 3 different grades without any paperwork or limitations to private individuals.
But indeed many online shops have already taken it off the shelf. On ebay.de there is just one seller left, who sells 53% technical HNO3 and wants some paperwork to be filled out. Only a year ago there've been tons of offers on ebay.de.

H2O2 >12%, Chlorates and Perchlorates are not availabe "officially", but already for some years now.

BJ68
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 23:25

Quote: Originally posted by CRUSTY  
Why would they try to restrict phenolphthalein?

Phenolphthalein was according to the GHS System classified as CMR-Substance see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolphthalein

Here the corresponding PDF:
SUPPORT DOCUMENT FOR IDENTIFICATION OF
PHENOLPHTHALEIN
AS A SUBSTANCE OF VERY HIGH CONCERN BECAUSE OF ITS
CMR PROPERTIES
http://echa.europa.eu/documents/10162/1f29b212-4a70-40c0-94d...

This classification means (like for ALL other CMR-Substances in the EU) that only professional user are allowed to buy it and not private persons.

Bj68

Edit:

PS: Where can I go in the EU to get my diaper changed? Because as private person I get treated like a toddler, if it comes to CMR-Substances...

[Edited on 11-6-2016 by BJ68]

[Edited on 11-6-2016 by BJ68]
spot
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 07:02

The only regulated-for-home-use chemicals list I know is https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-for-hom... - perhaps there's a discussion of it elsewhere on the site but I've not seen it yet. The only reason I'd want to apply is the Nitric Acid part but I assume if I do I can have a small bottle for occasional use.

When I got my few bits of glassware earlier this year I bought 25g Phenolphthalein Dry off the same supplier without being a school, and most of their chemicals (including Acetone!) were school-only. That will last me until 2700 at my current consumption. They sold very cheap burettes.

[Sorry if bumping an old thread is frowned on, different sites have different prejudices. Registering here is a result of finding scrap concrete outdoors with some lead attached and melting the metal bits into an ingot over the hob this morning, then googling "dissolve lead" "acetic acid". Which is very slightly relevant to the Nitric Acid part.]

[Edited on 12-9-2016 by spot]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 09:42

Bumping old threads is fine here.

Welcome to ScienceMadness !

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 09:46

3 months isn't even considered old!

We prefer to keep all information in one thread, rather than starting new ones, so you're good to go. Welcome!

Go To Top