Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Halate cells?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 05:08

well that`s Handy to know. I wanted to make some Calcium Bromate and Chlorate, it`s suposed to give a nice Pink flame, somewhat different to K and Sr mixes.

thus far the only method I have is electrolysis with periodic current reversal every 30 secs to stop the Cathode from getting caked in crap, it would nice to have a more elegant method :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 14:38

Unfortunately, I only have found a satisfactory way to make KBrO3, AgBrO3, and Ba(BrO3)2. Other bromates are very soluble, and making calciumbromate is really hard. It simply is not formed from solution, because any other calcium salt will settle first from solution.

One could make Ba(BrO3)2, dissolve this in boiling hot water, add dilute sulphuric acid to precipitate BaSO4 and have HBrO3 in solution, and then add CaCO3 or Ca(OH)2 to this, one could also add other metal carbonates or hydroxide/oxides. But going this way is very cumbersome. Preparing a solution of HBrO3 without traces of Ba(BrO3)2 or traces of excess H2SO4 will be really hard, unless you have very precise equipment and want to take the painstakingly precise effort to prepare a solution of H2SO4, with very precisely determined concentration.

Making Ca(ClO3)2 or Ca(BrO3)2 by electrolysis of a solution of CaCl2 or CaBr2 seems a very cumbersome thing to me also. You get solid Ca(OH)2 all the time around the cathode, which really clogs up the thing. This is not the way to go for making the chlorate or bromate to my opinion.

Btw, I changed my page on making KBrO3, it now has the explanation of the fine carbon particles in it. If I have some silica, then I will try the method of Runaway on a test tube scale. But first I need to obtain suitable silica.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-11-2006 at 14:49

This is the result with the barium bromate:

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/exps/barium_bromat...

Really nice green light.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top