Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Posting images from Google Drive - Forum not liking them...
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 15:15
Posting images from Google Drive - Forum not liking them...

IDK why this forum isn't allowing me to post images from my Google drive even if they are set to "global public view" where anyone can view them with the link. They work on other forums I use but this one just doesn't seem to like them.

I have tried every possible combination and setting from google to get them to post and even moved them to googles "photo" section which is different from "drive" (different link structure). With about 30 attempts, none will allow me to post them.

Can others post them here or do they have problems too? I can post them on other forums, some need to have the photo set to "globally public" while other accept "anyone with a link can view" - IDK what the real difference is, they generate different links but they seem to describe the same thing.

It would be really nice to be able to post pics from the drive and I think a lot of other members use it as well.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 17:37

I have two ways I post photos.
1. Upload a photo from my machine using the "choose file" button.
2. surround a url of an online picture with {img}{/img} tags.

I would assume the second would work for a google images link.
I know that other posters use different methods (you see crazy formatting sometimes) but I don't know what those methods are.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 20:53

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I have two ways I post photos.
1. Upload a photo from my machine using the "choose file" button.
2. surround a url of an online picture with {img}{/img} tags.

I would assume the second would work for a google images link.
I know that other posters use different methods (you see crazy formatting sometimes) but I don't know what those methods are.

Well this site is the one that caught my attention that it wasn't working then I tried it on 4 other forums and found the same issue.

Within google drive or google photo, you can select the image and get a URL to share it and then decide who can see it - "anyone with the link" or "globally public viewing" (IDK how they differ really). The thing is that neither of those are working on this site.

On other sites where I usually use the BB code of {IMG] all I have to do is paste the URL, with no code, and it embeds the image on the post. If I use the BB code neither link works AND on top of that, after I paste the URL in the screen when prompted (using the "add photo/image" button on toolbar) it doesn't display it in the message field it only shows the beginning of the BB code tag for image - which is really odd.

I asked about this on 2 other sites, each using different forum software than this, but each is acting the same way. Other members confirmed what I was experiencing and when I posted the links to some images I was trying to post, they to had the same issues I had. They tried their own links for their accounts and the same happened, so I know it isn't specific to my account.

wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 23:57

Just down load the pic into your PC. Then up load from your PC to this site. (using the attachment option just above "Post Reply")

Google adds some odd bits to end of the sharing URL, probably instructions for google about sharing. Apparently that confuses this site.

Plutonium404
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 03:55

I think it is preferred for members to upload the image file directly to the website. A lot of older threads are now unreadable since the photo links have died and it is a lot of work to restore photos of intricate setups.

Go To Top