Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: EtOAc using H3PO4
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 18:48
EtOAc using H3PO4

As I do not have glacial acetic acid nor sulfuric acid, I am trying to find ways to make EtOAc using alternative routes.

Will concentrated H3PO4, NaOAc, and EtOH make EtOAc in decent yields? The goal is to convert NaOAc to HOAc with H3PO4 and that will react with EtOH to form EtOAc. I would probably need to reflux this.

Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 18:56

i also interested in "alternative" ways , but with other chemicals..
using the acetic acid from vinegar and Cu catalyst for make my acetaldehyde (and bubbling this in formaldehyde), but i'm not sure which this works well... i tried search in this forum, and find some few experiments using this. this also really works?? feasible?? thanks.. (really sorry because i think which this isn't much "proper" to ask in this thread ...,eh?)
-----------------
about the H3PO4 (instead of H2SO4) you H3PO4 is froom pool supplier?, this can work great in your synth even with the propertie which max. conc. is around 85-90%???
thanks

[Editado em 4-1-2007 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 19:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqua_Fortis_100%
i also interested in "alternative" ways , but with other chemicals..
using the acetic acid from vinegar and Cu catalyst for make my acetaldehyde (and bubbling this in formaldehyde), but i'm not sure which this works well... i tried search in this forum, and find some few experiments using this.
-----------------
about the H3PO4 (instead of H2SO4) you H3PO4 is froom pool supplier?, this can work great in your synth even with the propertie which max. conc. is around 85-90%???
thanks

Um, my H3PO4 is gonna be from decomposing ammonium dihydrogen phosphate (Im not allowed to have any strong acids...parents). Its going to be quite concentrated hopefully.

Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 19:31

then can works, although your product can contain a lot of water due the H3PO4, even be a "fixed acid" can allow some water to vaporize together with this EtOAc...
-----
i will search in forum, also if has one easy method for make glacial from vinegar..
maybe this can be done simple made (or ordering from any place) calcium acetate, bring to dryness and reacting/destill with conc. H2SO4(low pressure should be a good thing..) to give glacial... and this reacting with EtOH, to make EtOAc... unfortunatelly, destill the acetic acid can be a dangerous thing(especially if make a room pressure) because has risks of fire,explosion,etc..and also as you mentioned ,

Quote:
(Im not allowed to have any strong acids...parents)

this is same which happen to me sometimes when my mom is furious! :mad:

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."

Go To Top