Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plastifying metallic peroxides with PIB
kratomiter
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2017 at 10:53
Plastifying metallic peroxides with PIB

Hi,

after been playing with strontium peroxide-based flash powder, I decided to plastify Sr peroxide with PIB. I used 10% PIB disolved in ethanol, then the strontium peroxide is added and the mix stirred at 60ÂșC. It can be casted and in an hour it becomes solid and brittle.

Maybe with more PIB it stays as a plastic, but I'm afraid the OB being very negative. From every mole of SrO2, 1 mol of SrO if formed and just 1/2 O2 mol is available, right?

When heated over aluminum foil it deflagrates violently with a nice red flame and the foil is pierced. I'll try to detonated if with SADS and MHN, I guess it's quiet shock insensitive.

[Edited on 30-4-2017 by kratomiter]

[Edited on 30-4-2017 by kratomiter]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 30-4-2017 at 16:28

If it deflagrated violently from flame...there is a chance that under slight confinement of a detonating case and initiated by a detonator, that it will detonate.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 9-8-2017 at 05:02

Fascinating im suprised I havent come across this thread I have experimented with the zinc peroxide and copper peroxide have not tried mixing it with pib self amalgamating tape

[Edited on 9-8-2017 by symboom]

kratomiter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2017 at 01:10

Update: I've tried to detonate a cilinder of 25 grams SrO2 plastified with 10% PIB casted in a PVC tube. Detonator was 50 mg SADS + 400 mg MHN in a plastic straw. It failed, MHN just vaporised it all. Plastified SrO2 can be used at most as a incendiary mixture, so better keep it to make flash powder.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2017 at 11:05

Sad news...

This means that the mix is really unsensitive... and only external heating will allow it to be near deflagration/detonation.

When heating the batch...you increase the overal molecular energy level and so activation energy to ensure decomposition is less; and flame front propagation layer by layer is faster...

Did you tried a casted fuse/cylinder (candle) to see if the burning propagates without preliminar heating?

[Edited on 1-10-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
kratomiter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 06:08

Sorry, casted was not the best word to use because it wasn't heated. I use rat trap glue and the mix eventually became solid inside the PVC tube. I'll try to make a candle with it to see if it propagates.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 16:09

Thank you for the future cast burning test.

So you made a plastic PIB/SrO2 putty and you pressed it into the PVC pipe to get the shape filled. Right?

How did you kneed the plastic putty, for how long and what was the fineness of the SrO2 powder?

[Edited on 3-10-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

kratomiter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 04:00

Yes, that's what I did. I just pressed it a little with a rod. The powder is fine, but I don't know exactly how much microns.

I did today a burning test just fitting a plastic straw with SrO2 and 5% PIB. This mixture doesn't mix perfectly, but its OB is better, thus avoiding burned rubber smell. The burning propagated but at a low speed. BTW, a little sample of this mix did a little bang heated on aluminium foil.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 05:19

Quote: Originally posted by kratomiter  
Yes, that's what I did. I just pressed it a little with a rod. The powder is fine, but I don't know exactly how much microns.

I did today a burning test just fitting a plastic straw with SrO2 and 5% PIB. This mixture doesn't mix perfectly, but its OB is better, thus avoiding burned rubber smell. The burning propagated but at a low speed. BTW, a little sample of this mix did a little bang heated on aluminium foil.

Thank you :)
Nice test and results.

[Edited on 8-10-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Go To Top