Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NOS vs. NOX?
oriansbelt
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 23:54
NOS vs. NOX?

I had a friend tell me that nitrici oxide(NOX for short) was a misconseption and that it is really nitrici dioxide(NOS) that is used in car and such. I didn't want to argue with him but does this have any foundings at all? I've never heard anything like this before so I am really skeptical. And sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I'm kinda new here and couldn't find a general chat area.

[Edited on 6-2-2007 by oriansbelt]

Advertize here.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 01:02

In cars, sometimes dinitrogen monoxide, N2O, is used as fuel enhancer. It makes combustion more intense and for that purpose some of the gas can be mixed into the gaseous fuel, leading to more horsepowers. N2O also is used for anaestetics and it sometimes is called 'laughing gas'. It is non-toxic, if inhaled in small quantities, but if it is inhaled, it must not displace air, otherwise too little oxygen is inhaled. It does not support human breathing, despite the fact that it does support fuel combustion.

The other oxides, NO and NO2, are not used intentionally, they are formed as by-products in the combustion of fuels in cars. When N2O is used, then the products of combustion can contain some NO and NO2 (together called NOx). But even without N2O, the result of fuel-combustion may contain some NOx, due to combination of nitrogen and oxygen from the air. NOx is very harmful and for this reason, modern cars have catalysists, which remove most NOx in the exhaust gases.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top