Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wow! Very Strange!
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 06:38
Wow! Very Strange!

I`ve just seen/done something that totaly defies any explaination I`m capable of!

Cr2O3 (made from burned Ammonium dichromate and washed in plain water until clear).

1 heaped spatula of it in a test tube and then 3 ml of Ammonia soln (about 10%).

there will be a slight color change but nothing drastic, then add the same amount again of H2O2 (9% 30vols).

gas will be liberated and very slight warming will be noticed, it will also make little "underwater volcanos" for half hour or so, quite interesting to watch actualy.
there will Also be a Blackish PPT in there amongst the green Cr2O3.

now get a NIB magnet next to the test tube, all these black particles will slowly move towards the magnet, not like Iron would (instantly) but very slowly as the liquid fizzes a little, remove the magnet and they drop again.

Chromium is Not a Magnetic material???

what`s going on?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Unch
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 08:38

Pardon my ingenuity, Did you use a metal spatula?

When did you do that?

Thanks for the anshwer. Lovely.

[Edited on 15-2-2007 by Unch]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 08:46

Ever heard of CrO2 casette tapes? ;)

Burnt Cr2O3 being what it is, it's most likely unburnt Cr(VI) being reduced by the H2O2, as:
CrO4(2-) + H2O2 = CrO2(s) + 2OH- + O2
Erm, does that work? Guess so.. charge is conserved and everything adds up... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium(IV)_oxide

Not a mentioned synthesis, but CrO2 fits the observation.

Tim

[Edited on 2-15-2007 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 08:56

Tim, You`re a Genius! Thanks! :)

Mystery Solved :)

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 09:00

about 2 and a bit hours ago.

not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 10:08

Yeah, heating Cr2O3 in air generates some higher oxidatation states, if you do the dichromate volcanoe the darker colour on the oxide is from those higher oxides.

This is a problem in industry where Cr2O3 or Cr(III) containing catalysts are use for oxidations. The chromium is slowly oxidised, when replacing the catalyst care must be taken because of the higher oxides present as a fine dust. The higher oxides are also slightly volatile, and migrate about in the reaction stream, leaving little piles in the system.

In fireing pottery, if a Cr(III) containing glaze has been used, it is not uncommon to traces of green, yellow, or pink on pieces further 'downwind' in the flue gas flow, formed by traces of the higher Cr oxides.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 10:23

I`ll try again in the morning, but this time only with the washed Cr2O3 and H2O2, I`m not sure the Ammonia soln played a big roll in any of this.

I know what I was thinking when I did this experiment and won`t risk embarasing myself by stating my intent, but MnO2 and acid catalysed by H2O2 played a part in my thinking, and so a stronger Base will be the other experiment for the morning.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 10:32

Unch Unch .... we have another troll.
<<<<

YT2095, the decomposition of ammonium dichromate always is incomplete, even when the remaining ashes are calcined for some time (assuring that all chromium (VI) is destroyed and all ammonia is expelled). I have some pure Cr2O3 (prepared from a chromium (III) compound and calcining) and that looks really green. I also made CrO2 (by mixing a solution of potassium dichromate and a solution of chrome alum and leaving this in contact for a few weeks). The CrO2 is fairly dark brown.

Pictures of pure Cr2O3 and of CrO2:

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/chromium...
http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/solutions/crIVO2.j...

My 'ashes' from lab reagent grade ammonium chromate always are dark green, almost black. The 'ashes' from ammonium dichromate are the same.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 12:41

I`m not entirely sure How this works (or even if it does) but CrO2 being ferromagnetic and having a currie point (temp) at 298k workable seemed a little strange. so looking at the PTOE, if you remove all from La onwards and fit the F Block in, you`ll see that Neodymium fits in exactly the same group as Cr.

Ce/Ti, Pr/V, Nd/Cr.

I could be talking out my ass, but it seems very coincidental, when you consider that Neodymium is one of the 3 elements in a NIB magnet.

of Course doing the same Samarium Cobalt magnets (also very strong) don`t line up as perfectly it`s offset by One and should be Fe/Sm.
but it makes you wonder :)

well it does Me at least!:P

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 14:40

Doesn't work that way though. Just coincidence. The lanthanides and actinides actually belong between the alkaline earths and the rare transition elements Y, Lu, Lr, much the same as the transition metal (d-block) is placed between them and B, Al, etc. (p-block). And yes, for really really big atoms (Z > 120, if they're even detectably stable), we'll get a g-block.

Almost all the lanthanides have their electrons hiding under the s orbital, so unlike the rich transition metals, the rare earths are almost completely boringly uniform. Exceptions are La, Ac and Th at the left end (just one electron (or, for Th, two electrons) prefers to put itself in the d shell) and Gd and Cm in the middle (apparently, half-filled shells are akward: see also Cr and Mo, but not W).

If you don't know what orbitals and shells are, it will suffice to imagine the atoms' electrons buzzing around the nucleus in specific "shells". A number of electrons can occupy each shell, in a number of states. The higher shells (in order: s, p, d, f, g, ...) can contain more electrons, therefore the (s, p, d, f, g..)-blocks get progressively wider down the periodic table. (Note that the rows count 2, 8, 18, ...) When a shell is full, electrons pile into the next, and so on. Shells repeat, which is why the s- and p-blocks are so tall. Occasionally an electron finds its way into an unexpected shell (as with Cr, Cu, Gd, etc.) because...no reason really, it just finds its lowest energy state there.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top