Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: byproduct from chlorination
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 17-2-2007 at 22:58
byproduct from chlorination

Using benzoyl chloride to make propionyl chloride the cooled reaction flask filled with beautiful clear needles. These were slightly soluble in hexanes, soluble in acetone and possessed of a pleasant, carbonyl odor. Reminiscent of cyclohexanone but sweeter... don't have my melting point apparatus working yet. What is it? Benzoin?
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 01:39

Only byproduct should be benzoic acid. Did you distill off the propionyl chloride? The point of the benzoyl chloride was to have it remain in the pot while the more volitale acid chloride was taken off.

There should be some excess benzoyl chloride in there as well.

The only rxn of benzoic acid and benzoyl I can think of would be formation of the anhydride.

Anyway if the point of the exercise was propionyl chloride and you have (or can) take it off, do so and be happy. Your crystals could be benzoic acid, benzoyl chloride, a mixture of the two, or even benzoic anhydride. Most likely a mixture of first two. You could rechlorinate any acid present to benzoyl chloride and have a single byproduct but recycling hardly seems worthwhile.
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 12:52

Try to dissolve it in some boiling water. Benzoic acid should go in solution and precipitate on cooling (depending on the water volume, obviously). I don't think the anhydride will dissolve as easily.

damnant quod non intelligunt
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2007 at 23:56

I will try that, thanks. Do you think phenyl benzoate might be another possibility? I wish I had an NMR...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 01:15

Where would the phenol (to form phenyl benzoate) originate?

And if you dissolve those crystals in hot water you will certainly hydrolyze any excess benzoyl chloride to benzoic acid; same with any benzoic anhydride; benzoic acid will remain unchanged, and all you will have is benzoic acid in there. Okay, so you can if you want then rechlorinate to benzoyc chloride with TCT or your choice of reagent (but you can't use benzoyl chloride to make benzoyl chloride.)

If these are really nice well formed crystals why not take a mp and see what you have?
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 23:35

you're right. it was a stupid idea .. just from the yield its benzoic acid. Now, what to do with it? Recrystallize it from hot water, as you say getting rid of any Cl or anhydride.. then I'd like to get it truly dry.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2007 at 00:04

I'd select a crystallization solvent the classical way, one that it is very sol in at bp and only sparingly sol in when cold. The crystallization process itself will exclude most impurities -- compare the solubilities of the chloride and anhydride in your chosen solvent.

Water is only a good idea if it meets the above requirements; if the stuff is freely soluble in cold water, it just won't recrystallize at all, and if you cook it down you don't get any of the purifying effect (other than the hydrolysis, and that may be slow.)

Your main product, propionyl chloride, should be long gone as you were supposed to distill it off, it's a volatile liquid. So all you can have in the pot is ubreacted excess benzoyl chloride (there was at least an extra equivant IIRC) and free acid from the reaction, and just maybe a wee bit of anhydride from the interaction of those two but I suspect, little or none of that.

If you are going to save up your pot contents to chlorinate back to benzoyl chloride, damned little point in hydrolyzing what benzoyl chloride might be in there. But whether or not there is merit to doing this depends on the scale on which you will be working and the cost of benzoyl chloride vs TCT or whatever your chlorinating reagent is, not to mention bench time from you.

Go To Top