Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fe304 Acquisition
Xenodius
Harmless

Mood: On fire for the Lord

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 19:08
Fe304 Acquisition

Hello!

I am wondering, can I expect similar results with purchased magnetite versus magnetically harvested magnetite in thermite?

What I am asking really boils down to this: Are there significant (<2%? <4%?) impurities in magnetically harvested magnetite? Large enough to prompt purchase of pure magnetite?

I have an area fairly close to my house which I believe is chock full of Fe304. Grey/black coarse ground, very soft, (sink in 3 inches or so when you take a step) and stirs up black powder easily when stepped in.

It would rock if I could make thermite for a $1.73 a freaking pound! (assuming 3.22:1 oxide to aluminum ratio, and $5 per pound of thermite grade aluminum; I might get high quality @ $9)

Thanks a lot for the input

joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 19:34

I would think this woud be fun to determine. If you can collect it, purify it (it dissolves slowly in Hydrochloric Acid) and then test your theory you could end up with a nice find. You could also learn that what you obtained would be quite costly to harvest.

Joe
Xenodius
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 20:20
HCl Purification/Future testing

Sweet! I just so happen to have a gallon of 31.45% HCl on hand. $6 for a whole gallon... Shoudn't be too bad, although its 5.10 for a lb of magnetite.
I wish I was there when my dad said "no" to the 250 gallon drum of 95% concentration he was offered for free at his work...

While I despise long drying times, the allure of 1/4 the price, and therefore 4x the fun, is all too great in the long run.
Either case, I will post results here later when I get my aluminum.
My dad is going on a trip to Pocatello and I have convinced him to pick up my Firefox order. He will be return with all the chems in almost 2 weeks, but he is only going to be there for 8 hours, so he might not have time to pick it up. If he doesn't, then he can get it in 4 weeks when he goes again for sure.

Also... HCl vapor hates metals. I cant let it dry in my house, obviously, so do any of you have a method for drying it outside without getting dust/dirt/etc in it? If not, I think I have a way I can improvise.

So, testing checklist:
1. Commercial Fe304 thermite effectiveness.
2. Unaltered magnetically harvested Fe304 thermite effectiveness.
3. Purified magnetically harvested Fe304 thermite effectiveness.
4. Repeat above with $9/lb 400 mesh aluminum instead of 'thermite grade'. (I will have a half pound left over from some flash comps)
5. Repeat the above when mixed with BaN03. (I will have two pounds, its only 3.90 a lb)

Then find cost, overall effectiveness of each, and time to make in retrospect.

And, since thats 3 trials, 2 grades of aluminum, and with thermite and thermate (2 types). 3x2x2 = 12, and 450g/12 = 37.5g per test.
So expect 35g tests.

I will see if I can post vid's when I make em, our camcorder is busted (broke battery) and its older than I am (yeah, its a shoulder mounted one... great picture though) but our digital camera has video recording, although like, for a max of 13 seconds, and its only 5 megapixel photos. Anyway, it will give you an idea.

And I would also like to experiment with using a Fresnel lens to light it off instead of magnesium ribbon. It focuses 300 watts +-20 in average sunshine, and the thermite is black, so it should absorb <90% of it. In a area about 2mm wide (if its just right, I have a 395mm lens)

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 20:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenodius
I wish I was there when my dad said "no" to the 250 gallon drum of 95% concentration he was offered for free at his work...

Was the drum pressurized? I was under the impression that HCl(g) was only soluble up to ~38% in water, at STP.

OTC "muriatic acid" is quite close, concentration-wise.

Best,

O3

[Edited on 21-2-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Xenodius
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 20:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Was this drum pressurized? I was under the belief that HCl (g) was soluble up to ~38% at STP. The OTC muriatic acid is pretty close.

Best,

O3

Well, it was sealed shut in one of those huge blue plastic, or whatever, drums. He never mentioned it being pressurized, although it would have to be, and I never thought to look up the solubility of it-- But I did read that highly concentrated solutions are very dangerous when exposed to ordinary/outdoor conditions. 31.45% stuff is probably safer :-)
They were getting rid of it cause they used it for cleaning refrigerant lines or something, (He does programming for a commercial HVAC company) and I guess they started using H2S04 instead.

Moreover I don't have a good spot to chuck a 250 gal. drum... And the opportunity is past, although slim chance it could recur in the future.

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 21:07

Either way, I'd take it. Just make sure you know what it is you have.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Xenodius
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 21:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Either way, I'd take it. Just make sure you know what it is you have.

O3

Problem is that opportunity passed by a long time ago! :-(
But thats off topic.

Go To Top